Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sore throat  (Read 12734 times)

Claireylou

Sore throat
« on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:03 AM »

Good morning ladies. Sorry but my health anxiety has kicked in big time today and I was wondering if anyone could help?

I've had a really sore throat for a week now and, of course, it can't just be a simple virus in my silly head. I've been a little bit snotty(sorry tmi) with virusy type aches and pains. Hubby has it too but his throat is not so bad.

Because it's still here after a week, I've managed to get myself all worked up .. Again. They usually get better after a few days. Can't get to docs til next week so I was wondering if anyone out there could give me a virtual kick in the nether regions ... Please ... ??

Thanks for reading  :) xxx

Tinkerbell

Re: Sore throat
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »

At our doctors they have a poster saying that sore throat symptoms, unless you have a fever, can take two weeks to get better.
Also you can get post nasal trip with a cold virus and this can irritate the throat.
I have always been plagued with sore throats and they often last more than a week.

Claireylou

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »

Thank you so much for replying. I felt rather silly writing it down to be honest  :-\

Yes I've got a bit of mucus I can feel at the back of my throat, along with a sinus headache. I'm going to pop to the chemist this afternoon to see what he suggests.

Your reassurance has helped loads. I think I just needed a poke  :)

Claireylou

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 10:53:27 AM »

It's awful isn't it???

Gone are the days where I can have a simple virus, a bit of arthritis etc etc. everything is some deadly illness. It gets me down but you're right Sparkle, just knowing other people understand is enough.

:thankyou:

Halfpint

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:15 PM »

Claireylou, I feel your pain. Health Anxiety is a nightmare.

There have been a lot of viruses going around that involve the throat. My husband had a virus that started last Nov and he was still not well 8 weeks later, he was clearing his throat that much, he coughed blood up one morning but Dr said he had burst a blood vessel from all the throat clearing (he did also have a chest xray which was clear). The other year I had a virus that started in my throat and that lasted 7 weeks. My young son has had a cough that lasted 9 weeks. He was tested for Asthma and allergies but all clear so Dr said her usual 'it's a virus'. I was so frustrated when I had my virus as they can't treat it with antibiotics and so it was frustrating that it took so long to go and I felt ill for so long.

Hope you feel better soon and feel reassured it is nothing sinister, just viral.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:53:02 PM »

Drink plenty.  Try to get plenty of fresh air.  Gentle walking.

Gargle with TCP liquid or take Paracetmol to ease symptoms?  When we have a cold it often causes sleeping with Gob Wide Open = dry throat and soreness. 

Get into that fresh air!

Claireylou

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 03:56:09 PM »

Thanks CLKD I've just got back from a gentle stroll in the bluebell woods behind our cottage and I do feel a bit better.

My son has just come home and announced his throat is "killing" him so I guess it's a virus.

Halfpint thank you, your words have reassured me no end.

Sparkle I was starting to drive myself around the bend this morning  ;D

This forum is a real blessing.

:thankyou:

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 04:17:18 PM »

Sore throats can be horrible.  When you're feeling out-of-sorts, you need things like hot drinks and comforting stuff.  If it hurts to swallow that, it's miserable.  I hope yours clears up soon, Claireylou.    :foryou:

Claireylou

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 04:28:49 PM »

Thank you Dulciana. This one is a corker. I've been sipping warm honey and lemon this afternoon and I've got a spray from the chemist so hopefully I'll be on the mend soon. Husband home in an hour and he's promised to look after me  :)

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »

It's easy to overly worry about these things but there are plenty of viruses going around all the time.  I caught a bad cold from my nephew in September and it didn't clear up properly until December.  Then I realised I was sleeping with my mouth open and that just made things even worse.  I thought the sore throat, cough and nasal drip would never go away and then it suddenly did.  I had a blood test and weirdly, nothing came up.

By the way, I have always reacted badly to synthetic progesterone and when I was on the pill years ago, I had continous sore throats and nasal drip which caused tonsil stones in the end, it went on for years.  I also had this when I took continous combined oral HRT and I sometimes get it very slightly now with with cyclical Utrogestan.  Something else to bear in mind.

Claireylou

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »

Hi Mary G,

That is really interesting thank you. It's amazing how hormones affect us. It truly is amazing.

Thank you xxx

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:15 PM »

I get a sore throat with silver birch pollen hay fever and foods associated with it http://www.allergyuk.org/oral-allergy-syndrome/oral-allergy-syndrome

It is that time of the year again  ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 09:35:06 PM »

It certainly is  >:( - willow pollen starts me going followed closer than ever this year, rape seed  :bang: :bang: :bang:.  I love hot Bovril in a large mug with hot toast ;-).  Soothing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:19:23 PM by CLKD »

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »

Ha! The rain will sort the pollen out today  ;D it is an ill wind that blows no Good  :D ;) ;) ;)

Claireylou

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 10:21:54 AM »

I was thinking maybe pollen. We live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by woods. My brother developed hay fever in his early forties so maybe the same is happening to me. I haven't been outside today and the throat feels a bit better xxx
Pages: [1] 2