Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Starting 100mg Utrostegan tonight before an Ablation  (Read 2029 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Starting 100mg Utrostegan tonight before an Ablation
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:10:50 PM »

Hi Ladies

I am starting a 7 day course of Utrostegan tonight so that I can have a bleed before my ablation and possible re-section of fibroids.

Can anyone tell me what to expect about the U as I am hoping that this will chill be out a bit as I do prefer the progesterone elements of HRT.

Also has anyone had either of these operations and know what the recovery time is likely to be?

Mary G

Re: Starting 100mg Utrostegan tonight before an Ablation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »

Mis71mum, will you be taking Utrogestan vaginally?  It is better if you do because it works better at thinning the womb lining and it has fewer side effects when taken that way.  You will probably find you sleep very well, I always do.  The bleed time varies for me and is anything from 3 to 6 days from taking the last capsule and the actual period itself lasts about 4 days and it can be quite heavy.

Good luck with the ablation, I have looked into it myself.  Do you have to have a general anesthetic?  Also, do you know how much progesterone you will have to take in future?  I have heard that you still need to take some progesterone afterwards but you can take less of it and it does mean the lining doesn't build up as easily if at all.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »

Hi Mary G

Yes I will be having a General Anaesthetic but I'm only in as a day case on Bupa.

I'm not exactly sure about the Utrogestran doseage post operation. Sort of looking forward to this next bleed as my gyny said my lining was thin this time, so if my period is heavy, I'll know that the fibroid causes the heavy bleeding but if it's light, I'll know that's it's because of the lack of hormones.

Will keep you posted.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:14:08 AM »

Hi

I took my first Utrogestan last night at 9.45. My usual bed time is 11.00.  I feel a bit groggy this morning, like I had drunk a bottle of red wine without the hangover!

Anyway, what's the general opinion on when to take?  Is it just before bed or a few hours before bed?  I also noticed that it should be taken on an empty stomach but I didn't, hopefully it won't matter just this once.

Only taking for 7 days so a get a bleed before my operation - so just 6 more left to take.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 12:05:49 PM »

I was told to take it just before bed.