Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vitamin D Deficiency  (Read 3457 times)

Halfpint

Vitamin D Deficiency
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »

Hi,
For those of you who have Vitamin D Deficiency or think you may have it. This popped up when I logged into my email account, so thought it may be of interest to some.

http://www.lifed.com/75-of-people-are-lacking-vitamin-d-see-if-you-have-one-of-these-16-signs

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Vitamin D Deficiency
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »

In the 1990s I had breast disease at a time when I was walking daily regardless of the weather.  I have always enjoyed being outdoors, walking, gardening, skipping ……….. as a child of the 60s we were outside all the while.

It seems a bit wishy-washy as it doesn't state which 'research' and when the research was done.  So nothing to check the various statements against.

Get into the day light as much as possible.  Wear a hat if the sun is high in the sky and use sun-screen.  By mid-April my hands are browning nicely simply by being the garden or walking.  My legs never see the light of day except in the bath  ;D.  I get my arms out once the weather is warm every day. 

Eat well! 

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 12:17:37 PM »

The vitamin D council is a good website for keeping up with latest developments on Vit D research.  http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

There is a lot going on at the moment.  It seems like it is the answer to everything, but only time and continued research will tell.

Meanwhile, this is the time of year for the lowest blood levels of vitamin D following winter, but the sun is now strong enough to be making your own, until October.  So make the most of it while you can  :sunny:

Keep eating the sardines on toast, and supplement if you are under the levels.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:12:16 PM »

How does 1 find out if we need a VitD boost?  Not something I would dash to the GP unless I was aware of symptoms.

Sardines on toast ………. crikey, haven't eaten those for years  ::).  Freshly caught but Oh The Smell  ;D

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »

I got mine done as part of blood tests for arthritis ( the practice nurse said I should ask for it since my joint aches were particularly bad in my neck).  My husband had his done as part of a general group of blood tests before starting a course of high dose steroids.  His was actually lower than mine, in spite of him insisting that his levels would be ok, because he went out more, etc.  ;)

At this time of the year, you should assume that your levels are low and get out in the sun as much as you can and eat the things with vit D in them.  It is hard to get all you need from your diet, so most people will be depleted, unless they can afford a winter holiday in the sun.  I take a supplement now, to prevent my levels dropping again.

Sardines on wholemeal toast are very good - vitamin D, omega3, and calcium.  I like them with butter, though  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »

Butter has calcium so that's fine too  ;)

Halfpint

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 04:45:35 PM »

'get out in the sun'...I'm still waiting for the sun! The weather is rubbish at the moment, so no wonder so many people are deficient.

dahlia - did you have arthritis in your neck? The Dr told me I had it but all he told me to do was exercise and take ibupofren or paracetomol. I do some exercises I found on line for my neck as I do suffer from pain and stiffness and in my shoulders and top of arms.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 04:55:17 PM »

OA can be 'heard' sometimes but the sure fire way of diagnosis is by X-ray  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

Generally one shouldn't need Vitamin D in summer if you can get 15-20mins of sun on your arms each day.  It's a good idea to take a supplement in winter.  DG x

Halfpint

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 05:54:22 PM »

CLKD - All my Dr did was prod a bit around the back of my neck. I did then contact the Arthritis Association and asked if this was a way of diagnosing OA and they said yes and that most Dr's diagnose on symptoms alone. However, I have a friend who is a Physio and she said that if someone came to her for treatment without having being diagnosed by an Xray then she would refuse to treat them.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »

HOORRAYYY!  a Physio who agrees that no one should be treated without current X-rays  :great:

RA is more obvious to diagnose ;-).  Evolving upright however, leaves joints at risk.

Summer is coming  ;)