Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beverly callard on this morning  (Read 11400 times)

Tinkerbellj

Beverly callard on this morning
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

Did anyone see this morning on itv? Beverly callard aka liz from coronation st talking about being treated for depression then discovered after seeing proff john studd it was hormonal! ! Has spured me on if my gynae wont give me the gel etc I am off to see him. My appt with hrt clinic is next week I am armed with nice guidelines and the info from his  web site and I am not leaving til its sorted. Crying for 2 weeks now terrible mood etc I have had 18 months of this it ends now. I am even downloading her interview onto my phone to show her if I need it! !

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: Beverly callard on this morning
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:45:54 AM »

I didn't see it but i'm sure Denise Welsh from Loose Women also Prof Studd and had it confirmed that she had hormonal depression too.  I'm sure I've read an interview about it.

Halfpint

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

Well I do remember reading about Denise Welch that she had severe post natal depression, so probably is hormone related.

I didn't Beverley's interview but might check it out on the iplayer. I have read a lot about her depression which she has had for a long time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:23:01 PM by Halfpint »

Sooby

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »

Go for it Tink!

and let us know how you get on. x

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »

Yeah it was an interview with denise welch that made me google and find trje proff in the first place. Just waiting here for my return call from meno clinic to try to pull my appt forward had too take diazapam to make the call. If not will wait til friday hope I dont get arrested sacked or divorced in the meantime!

Sooby

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »

Might be worth rehearsing what you plan to say and how to overcome any resistance. It might make you feel calmer and more in control on the day...? Besides, I always find when I do that and prepare for any potential difficulties they invariably never arise.  ;)

Sounds like you have all your evidence to hand and a back up plan so I have a feeling that it's in the bag!

dangermouse

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »

Yes i recorded it for my friend who went to see him yesterday - apparently he's quite a character from their conversation!

Beverly Callard said that Denise Welch had put her onto him and that she is on both HRT and antidepressants. Studd had apparently got the balance right after one of her ADs had been discontinued (by the pharma co) and another consultant had questioned her being on HRT and belittled her depression. She said Studd had changed her life.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 05:37:24 PM »

Professor Studd changes lots of women's lives, if only the rest of the medical profession would listen to him.  This crops up time and time again whereby women are treated for depression when they need hormones.  Why is this not getting through to GP level and why are so many GPs still misdiagnosing women and/or refusing them HRT? 

I do agree with those who say that you should be able to be treated on the NHS but if you are being fobbed off or put on the wrong type of HRT, then my advice is don't waste too much time, see a professional who knows what they are talking about. 

Niamh

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »

Another big advocate for Studd here! He's quite a character but he's changed my life too without him I was heading towards anti depressants and I was in such a mess. He gets some negative air play on here but really he's a very kind man who has dedicated his life to our cause!! He takes a bit of getting used to but is clearly a brilliant man to be totally trusted. My GP was hopeless sadly x

Kate50

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 12:33:44 PM »

Can I just say from someone who hasn't really suffered with depression due to just my monthly cycles but have had it after pregnancy and a little in menopause  I feel any oestrogen in whatever form  has helped me personally.  I feel it's the progesterone in menopause  that causes this to go off kilter.  Many ladies seem to be reportng this.  I could tell straight away when trying to take other progesterones that they affected my mood and with the utrogestan I have felt it after finishing it.  It's taken 2 weeks to get the effects out of my system . So if we are all having to take progesterone  will ladies like myself still be up and down every month and the ladies who suffer have to stay on AD's?
Just a thought. 

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »

Got my second bloods. In keeping with menopause apparently fsh 33 last month was normal the joys of perimenopause! So should I go for the pill or transgermal gels etc...........

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »

Oh and spoke to my meno clinic nurse today she is sooo lovely and helpful. Told he what proff studd had recommended and she had heard about him and what he does. I told her I would be going to see him if the consultant doesnt sort this on Friday and she said she would pass that on. Last time consultant wouldn't even entertain me talking about him so this should be interesting! !! Just said there is a solution out there and I have had 18 months of this crap it is affecting the lives of my children I cant work properly or leave the house some days. I jave a disabled mother who relys in me and my relationships r badly affected. Enough is enough. I think she got the message. ...

Sooby

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 08:33:46 AM »

Good for you Tinkerbell! The great thing is that you have a plan B. If you dont get sorted then you know that you can go somewhere and be listened to and understood. I think that it is genuinely frightening to think that GPs seem to feel that that the world is full of hysterical, depressed, neurotic women of around 40 yrs plus. Rather than exploring peri meno.

If I could raise the money to create a media campaign to raise awareness amongst women of all the associated symptoms im sure that so many unhappy, distressed and desperate women could find a cure if only they knew what was causing their symptoms. Before prescribing ADs, GPs are required to give out a questionnaire to establish the true nature of your symptoms and the type of ADs required.

Sadly, this questionnaire is not gender or age specific. If it was then it could incorporate a series of questions for women including do you suffer from any of the following,

Brest tenderness
insomnia
early morning anxieties that then fade
irregular or fluttery heart beat
bladder weakness
night sweats
hot flushes
etc, etc

I would like to see a poster in Drs surgeries that listed all the symptoms and encouraged women to  get checked out. I would also like to see more information available about the risks / benefits of HRT as so many women still feel that there are too many associated risks based on sensationalised reports from several years ago.

Right....I am getting off my soap box now but if any of you are interested in making this happen I will start another thread. x

coldethyl

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 11:19:56 AM »

Great idea Sooby. I have found peri particularly tricky to negotiate round with my GPs as I have always had anxiety and fibromyalgia so it has been easy to put everything down to that. It gradually dawned on me that my symptoms were worse and different and then the sweats and palpitations started( again put down to anxiety though it was over 10 yrs since that had started and the palpitations had gone away from 9 yrs with CBT) - I was slow to put two and two together but I'm not a doctor and just wish they were more on the menopause ball.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 03:05:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2