Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How much estrogen to prevent osteoporosis?  (Read 3946 times)

Nette32

How much estrogen to prevent osteoporosis?
« on: April 05, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »

Well as the question says really. Currently having an injection which gives me menopause symptoms to stop PMS symptoms. Will possibly be needing a hysterectomy but I cannot cope with estragon (I'm one of three proffesor ever dealt with). Currently on half a 25 evorel patch to be built up slowly to see if I can can get to high enough to stop osteoporosis but no idea what that needs to be.
Thanks xx

Pollie

Re: How much estrogen to prevent osteoporosis?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »

Hi

This paper is the only reference I have found regarding serum (blood) levels of oestrogen to help prevent osteoporosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312923/

Take from it what you will - it appears to be saying 150pmol/L  minimum but that is only my interpretation.

Other recommendations will be 50mcg patch for prevention of osteoporosis.

Prevention of bone loss is so, so, important with us all living longer these days, the cost of treatment and disadvantage to quality of life from the disease is massively overlooked by conventional NHS thinking; the window of opportunity for women being at peri menopause.

HTH

Pollie

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:43:19 PM by Pollie »

Nette32

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »

I really appreciate the reply.  My nan has osteoporosis and obviously do not want to get that in the future. This is all such a minefield x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 06:13:28 PM »

I suspect some ladies are more predisposed to getting it than others. My mother had a hysterectomy at 38, no HRT in those days, and had a bone scan at age 80 which showed no osteoporosis.  On the other hand mother in law didn't take any HRt either and had one of the worst cases of osteoporosis her consultant had seen in his whole career.

anais

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 08:51:32 PM »

Unfortunately I have osteoporosis so it's not a case of prevention any more. The main reason I'm on HRT is to help prevent its progression. Your best bet is to talk to your consultant if you have one, or your GP, and try and arrange a DEXA scan. There is a strong hereditary component. It was my sister's diagnosis of osteopenia that prompted me to go to my GP to send me for a DEXA scan. I was found to have "major osteopenia" at 51 which has now progressed to osteoporosis 2 years later. Both my sister and I have Haemochromatosis which is also a risk factor for osteopenia and osteoporosis so I think we can our parents for that. If you're concerned then get a scan. That's the only way of finding out. If my sister hadn't tipped me off I would never have known and I wouldn't be on HRT – although it was other problems that led to my referral to the menopause clinic where my low bone density was taken VERY seriously. Get a DEXA scan. That's my advice.

PS After starting on Estrogel my consultant arranged a blood test to check my oestrogen levels. It seems that's the right way to monitor the dose. I doubt my GP would have been much cop at getting on top of this situation but you might fare better. I'll keep you posted with the outcome.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:55:49 PM by anais »

Nette32

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »

Really appreciate reply. I have a consultant.  Thank goodness. The whole thing is so confusing. So much information that it's hard to take everything in after appointment. I will ask him about that.  A month currently on 12.5 evorel patch and then increase. Wish I could just stick with no hormones.

Dana

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 11:51:28 PM »

I don't think anyone should rely solely on HRT to help prevent it, especially if you have a genetic predisposition. It might help in its prevention, but you need to take other precautions like the correct diet, and weight bearing exercise is also very important for its prevention.

I was diagnosed with oesteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis) in my late 40s which is before I started HRT. I've now been on HRT for about 5-6 years and it hasn't really done much to improve things. The only thing that seems to keep it from getting worse is a once a week dose of Fosamax.

Halfpint

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:08:46 PM »

That's interesting Stellajane,
My Grandmother (my mother's mum) had osteoporisis and was very thin. My Mum is from a big family. Some of her sisters with osteoporisis were thin but my Mum and two of her other sisters all have it  and they're all big ladies. Plus, my Mum was on HRT for a good while but wasn't diagnosed with Osteoporisis until she was around 71 (after fracturing three bones in a fall).
I have been reading on here about how HRT can help against Osteoporosis but in my mothers side of the family it seems hereditary, so I'm wondering if me and my sisters are going to inherit it? We are all around peri stage, so I'm wondering if I should mention to my GP about my mother having it and see what is advised?

Halfpint

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:06 PM »

I can't remember how many years my Mum was on HRT but her GP took her off it when they said it could cause breast cancer. Interesting that last year she had to have a mammogram as she had pain in her breast and the form she had to fill in asked if she had ever taken HRT and for how long. Luckily there was no problem with her breast.

I seem to have inherited quite a few things from my Mum, so I'm sure I'll inherit osteoporosis. I will mention it to my new GP next time I go.

Pollie

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »

PS After starting on Estrogel my consultant arranged a blood test to check my oestrogen levels. It seems that's the right way to monitor the dose. I doubt my GP would have been much cop at getting on top of this situation but you might fare better. I'll keep you posted with the outcome.

Hi anais

Don't suppose you remember or know what your levels were, or what you consultant said they needed to be ?

I would be really interested to know

Pollie