Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Day 3 hormone profile  (Read 3356 times)

Tinkerbellj

Day 3 hormone profile
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:47:40 AM »

Consultant has asked for day 3 hormone profile.  I have typically taken my period this morning and have been informed by surgery that thwy have no appointments until monday which is day 5. Should I push for tomorrow or will it not make much difference?  Its just to confirm what everyone already knows and I had one with last period she just wants a baseline. Advice very much appreciated. Thanks

Milamam

Re: Day 3 hormone profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:19:57 AM »

Hi,
Hormone profiles are usually done Day 3 - 5 of menstrual cycle so no worry, it will be perfect if you do it on Day 5.

Good luck
Milamam

Kate50

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »

Can you get to a nearby hospital.  I dont go to our docs for them as usually 3 week wait.  They give you the form and you go get it done at hospital same day

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »

Kate u would wait 3 weeks to get a blood test in our hospitals lol. Happy to wait until monday just want the result to be accurate.  Having said that I think I am going to go on the pill cant be coping with this pain. Labour was easier and im not joking!  Xx

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 11:05:44 AM »

Our hospital has the same day facility too Kate50. The doctor gives you the form and you just turn up and wait. I thought most hospitals did this now? Our hospital blood testing unit grumbles at how many they have turn up from my surgery and query whether we even have a phlebotomist at all!

Taz x

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »

Yep that's like ours you take a ticket at hospital and wait it's bonkers.  Dint get it as docs now have blood ladies yet you wait forever!

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:13:47 AM »

Thanks milamam :D

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:31:52 AM »

I don't understand the Day 3 thing as hormone doc I saw said all hormones are low then so they wanted Day 21 which made more sense. Maybe it's more for the FSH needing to be then though.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »

Yes the Day 3-5 is FSH which is what is normally tested re menopause. However oestrogen levels also vary hugely so not quite sure why the Day 21 either which in a normal cycle is halfway through the luteal phase? Each phase has its reference range.... Day 21 is normally for progesterone as a test for a woman's fertility as it is after she is ovulating and when significant amounts are produced. Maybe that's why in your case dangermouse - ie to test if you are ovulating still? However if your cycle is irregular as is the case for many peri-menopausal women - then Day 21 is academic and might not show anything so it is only worth testing for prog then if cycles are still regular and approx 28 days.

Hurdity x

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

Ah thanks, yes that makes sense. On my tests I had then, back in 2012, it showed a reference range for oestrogen of 161-774 in the luteal phase (mine was 375) which was a higher range than in the follicular (46-607) but the highest was ovulation phase (315-1828) so I guess Day 21 is more a catch all if FSH isn't an issue. Is was what the bio-identical hormone doc wanted, to check if I needed supplementation.

I just asked my GP for results from test they did in January and my FSH was 15.8 on Day 3, which is higher than the reference range, and it was only 3.0 in 2012. Guess that is proof I'm peri! They never mentioned it to me at the time, said everything was normal and to keep taking the tablets for my 'ulcers'.  ::)