Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause and thyroid  (Read 3150 times)

Mary1962

Menopause and thyroid
« on: April 01, 2016, 07:02:07 PM »

Is there a higher likelihood of having thyroid problems or discovery of an underactive thyroid during the perimenopause? Or is just problems with the thyroid may occur more frequently as part of the natural ageing process so tend to be picked up more during that stage of life?

Mary G

Re: Menopause and thyroid
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:59:25 PM »

Mary1962, I can only give you my personal experience on this.  I have never had an underactive thyroid but can tell you that my thyroid function is better when I take more oestrogen.  When I didn't take HRT at all and when my oestrogen levels were very low while taking HRT, my thyroid levels were getting quite near to the upper limit but since I switched to the gel and my oestrogen blood level was higher, my thyroid function improved - I always have the whole set of thyroid blood tests.  This has happened too many times for it to be a coincidence in my case.  That said, it might well be different for some people. 

scriv

Re: Menopause and thyroid
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 12:21:36 AM »

My thyroid became seriously underactive at a very early menopause I had at 39. I was told that this often happens. Not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg though.