Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Headaches  (Read 8140 times)

Annidav

Headaches
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »

Anyone else get headaches that go on for days? I have had this one since Wednesday - been taking extra strong painkillers, going to bed early - nothing is shifting it; I suppose yet another symptom of this wretched phase of life; so debilitating; I really struggled to concentrate with my work yesterday; luckily I am part time but in the afternoon, instead of being able to take my  daughter out for the afternoon I had to lie down in a darkened room - and still it won't go  >:(

Kate50

Re: Headaches
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »

I've been dogged with headaches on and off over the years.  Got migraines after 3rd child and got rid of them with acupuncture. When they started with peri they would ladt days acupuncture helped a bit but with the hormonal ups and downs they would just get triggered off again so very occasionally if they really bad I take a 10 mg amitryptilin at bedtime and they usually shift it.  Till the next time!  I also take homeopathic Sepia which is good if it fits the spec as it doesn't always. Been better since starting  transdermal oestrogen cos now in menopause but got them back since going on the utrogestan!  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:28:52 AM »

Sorry to hear about your headaches Annidav.

I started getting migraines for the first time just before I was peri-menopausal - although I didn't realise they were migraines - and I still get them even though I am post-menopause and on HRT. Mine usually last for 3 days and come back in the night even if I take painkillers when I go to bed. I have never taken anything strong for them though - only paracetamol or ibuprofen. I have no idea what causes them - or else they have multiple causes.

I used to get them just before my period so I assume it was the progesterone crash - or it could have been the oestrogen dip too! Then when I started HRT I got them when I stopped the progesterone part of HRT. Then got them randomly during the progesterone part. Now I still get them sometimes when I drink alcohol especially if later than 9 pm and go to bed with a tiny amount of alcohol feelings - but I'm OK if i drink it during the day or early evening. This is worse during the prog phase of HRT. When I mentioned to my GP she just thought it was low oestrogen and asked if I got them when I was due to change my patch - but I don't think this is the cause!

Yours sounds like a migraine if you need to get away from the light. Can you identify anything that brought it on? Otherwise it is presumably hormonal - depending on where you are in menopause/periods etc?

I hope you feel better soon - I know what it's like as I had one yesterday and which woke me in the night but I think paracetamol might have shifted this one so probably not a 3 day job this time!

Hurdity x

dogdoc

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »

Annidav. Never had headaches until peri. Headaches were the first symptom that really walloped me...made me think I had a tumor. Or MS. Lasted for days out of every month. Pain up the back of my neck and into the backs of my eyes. Two a month. Days at ovulation, then a few more days before period. This was earlier peri. As I get farther along the headaches have diminished markedly thank God!!!

Tara

Chi chi

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:20:50 AM »

I've had headaches for years, mum has them as do other members in the family although not everyday ones like mine. Had pills from the gp to try and prevent them, pills to take when I get them but nothing's worked so I just persevere with paracetamol and ibuprofen not that they really help. I've got a pretty bad one at the moment that's been lingering for a few days only it feels different to my usual ones, this is right at the back of my neck and skull radiating up the sides to my temples, I've felt sick on and off with it, nothing's touching it, but my eyes have been watery too and I've had lower back pain which I originally thought was to do with my 4 week bleed but now with all this I'm wondering if it's a water infection or something? I even bought a shiatsu back and neck massage pillow thing but it's not helped yet with the headache  :-\

Hope it buggers off soon!

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 11:28:46 AM »

Hello Annidav.

I never suffered with headaches until the menopause struck. I have mentioned before that I would wake with a headache every morning which lasted all day until disappearing about 9 pm. I would go to bed feeling fine only for the whole sorry business to begin again the next day!  After six months they stopped and have never returned, so definitely hormonal and definitely a phase which passed.

Now if only my near constant jitters would take the hint and go the same way! I live in hope.

Take care.

K.

Annidav

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »

Thanks all for responses - mine has eased a little with some fresh air late afternoon but my head still feels thick and muzzy; I have suffered migraines in the past but with black and white patterns followed by blank areas in my vision and then I am physically sick and have to go to bed but once I have slept for several hours it goes; however, probably for the last year but I didn't connect it to the menopause T the time, I have been getting these other type of headache which is a really intense pain behind my eye and across the back of my head and they last for about three days and absolutely nothing will shift it; unfortunately I use a computer constantly for work with a lot of concentration and this doesn't help things; I now feel like I have lost the last couple of days; I have bought some magnesium supplements today and hope these may help a little; thanks for all of your suggestions! X :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 07:45:57 PM »

Are you hydrated enough?  Headaches can be caused when the body is dry and we know that menopause causes dryness  >:(  ::)

Maybe speak with a Pharmacist about more powerful headache remedies?

scoobylyn

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 12:00:32 AM »

I've had the 3 day headache this week as well.  It's really debilitating

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 08:36:07 AM »

I'm lucky that the migraines I had had every month since puberty disappeared with the onset of menopause.

However, I did have a constant headache for a few weeks a while back. I went to see the GP, who checked for anything serious, but all fine. I had had an eye test and my symptoms didn't seem to indicate eye problems. In desperation, I went for an extra eye test and lo and behold, there had been a sudden deteriation in my eyesight. New glasses, headache gone.

Do consider having an eye test just in case.

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »

Me too! Though my Dad has now been told he hasn't got glaucoma after 30 years of putting in eye drops! Seems the doctors have kept to the original diagnosis. He had eye pressure after cataract ops. A young doctor listened and agreed with my Dad that he felt glaucoma was or is no longer a problem. He had a trial period without drops and the pressure is still normal. Dads thrilled. New lease of life at 90! So I'm back to 2 yearly checks.

It would be a good result if you need a new prescription, and your headaches go, like for me. Expensive, but what a relief!

Sunnydays

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »

im a reluctant member of the 3 day headache gang!
I started getting horrendous headaches/migraines a few days before periods during what I guess was the peri meno phase. So debilitating I had to go to bed.
i now seem to get headaches which always last  3 days.i   Get them when just on oestrogen hrt and during the progesterone phase. I think there are some triggers but I'm also finding it ties in with having a lot of cataarh. I always have it down the back of my throat and my forehead gets tender and I wonder sometimes if it's a cataarh headache. I do lots of steaming and that seems to help it. I'm keeping a diary from  now on to see what might be the cause.