Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Evorel Conti Patches thumbs down  (Read 6876 times)

2102bunker

Evorel Conti Patches thumbs down
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:45:57 AM »

Since starting with these patches in Oct 2015 I have had regular period pain pretty bad before the bleeds, it is just down right awful!!! had a internal ultra sound at the hospital, which was just horrible.   I forgot to put a new patch on on day and I had crippling period pains also around my lower back.  Absolutely horrendous!!!!!  needless to say I am now weaning myself off them.  After speaking to my GP he was pleased that I had decided to come off HRT altogether.  It was another doctor I saw at my GP surgery who put me on the Evorel Conti Patches, as I was desperate to stop the night hot flushes, which ruined my sleep waking up several times a night.  I can honestly say I would rather have the hot flushes than have to suffer the pain and the bleeding and mood swings too. My GP who is against HRT told me to have one patch on for a week, then 2 weeks then one on for 3 weeks and so on to wean myself off the patches.  This is a better way than cutting the patch in half and so on and so forth.

I have decided to try Maca Root tablets when I am off the HRT patches altogether. I am hoping these will help with the flushes.  Fingers crossed!!!!!!!! 

Dancinggirl

Re: Evorel Conti Patches thumbs down
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »

You would probably be better with a sequential regime - something like Oestrogel with Utrogestan, then the period type pains would only be for a day or so when the bleed happens. What a shame your GPs are so anti HRT - it really can be beneficial depending on your age and the stage of your menopause, however it is trial and error till you find the regime that suits you. 
Do be careful what and where you source any alternatives - there have been some women who have tried Maca but i think the benefits tend to be only in the peri meno phase - some of the products purchased over the NET can be dodgy - just because they are deemed 'natural' doesn't mean they are safe!!!!
Many of our most powerful drugs are derived from botanical/natural sources and are properly processed and delivered in a way that ensure the benefits and any risks involved are known. You could try Red Clover in a highish dose as there have been trials of this with some success for women who get very mild meno symptoms. 
The conti HRTs really don't suit many women - this is why many of us post meno women choose to stick with sequential HRT.  I hope you find a positive way forward as the benefits do have to outweigh the negatives.  Dg x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »

I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience but I would not recommend you stop taking HRT, your symptoms will probably come back.  There is a much better alternative to your current regime and that is Oestrogel and Utrogestan, as DG has recommended.  This is what I use and it is the best HRT regime I have used by a very, very long way and I highly recommend it.  The beauty of the gel is that you can adjust the dose to suit your needs.  Frankly, natural remedies really aren't really going to cut it.

Instead of being pleased that you are coming off HRT, you doctor should be prescribing something that actually works for you.  Your quality of life and the long term health benefits of taking oestrogen are important.  Did your doctor explain why he is against HRT?  What does he expect you to do when your hot flushes return and you can't sleep?  Suck it up?  I'm not impressed.

I hope you can get the right medication out of him otherwise you can always buy it online.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 02:45:42 PM »

Hi 2102 Bunker - when you say "before the bleeds" do you mean that you were getting a regular bleed on the conti patches?

I had continuous bleeding while on a conti HRT so after six months swapped back to a sequi regime which was much better for me. How long post menopause are you?

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 05:29:28 PM »

Hi 2102bunker

I am wondering if they are not sticking well or partly coming away which is making your hormone levels fluctuate and causing the erratic bleeding?

I think the reason you have been bleeding like this is partly because you have been without oestrogen for so long but also maybe the combi patch is not working for you.

I agree with Taz and the others that you might be better off on a cyclical HRT which gives you a regular monthly bleed. Also the progestogen in this patch is quite strong so could make the period pains worse.

I would definitely either try one of the combi cyclical patches - eg Femseven sequi - or go for the separate combo that Dancinggirl and Mary G has suggested. I use this too - although I use a patch (Estradot 50 mcg - they are tiny) along with the micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) and I have a bleed every two months (this is the downside - but preferable to having erratic bleeding).

Here are the oestrogen preparations listed (scroll down for transdermal):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Here are the progestogens:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

Here are the  combi patches for peri-menopause - ie cyclical rather than continuous like Evorel conti (scroll down for patches):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Using a gentler regime should mean the mood swings are very minor - when you start and stop the progestogen part - but you shouldn't have such extreme period pains hopefully.

As has been said - how terrible that the doctor is pleased that you have stopped HRT! Many of us have tried several regimes until we have settled on one that works for us and that makes us feel better overall than when not on it - which is the ultimate aim of course, as well as protecting our future health ( bones, heart, bladder etc).

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x