Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Goldfinch?  (Read 5837 times)

Kate50

Goldfinch?
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »

I think I may have had 2 Goldfinch in the garden this morning I can honestly say I don't think we have had them before.  CLKD is it you who knows their birds?  Red above the beak and yellow on wing feathers?

Taz2

Re: Goldfinch?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »

It probably is a Goldfinch. I have a flock of over thirty all year round which are wonderful to watch but they cost a fortune to feed. They adore sunflower hearts and nyger seed if you want to attract them. You could post on the nature thread.  They are just getting their spring colours in now - the males are really striking. https://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdguide/name/g/goldfinch/

Taz x

Kate50

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »

Thanks for that will go put some seed out

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »

I gave my nyger feeders to my Mum for her goldfinches.  They weren't eating them here  ::)

Goldfinches are beautiful, as are long-tailed tits. 

Two hoots

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

Very attractive birds, the colours of their faces remind me of archery targets  ;D if I'd have named them I'd have called them bullseye finches  ::)

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 07:41:10 AM »

Goldfinch are beautiful birds and in Norfolk have been called King Harry for decades. Don't know why though.

I've  tried and tried to attract them to my garden but they're not having it. I've lived in this house about 25 years and I reckon I've seen about 3 in all that time.  My friend lives about quarter of a mile away and her garden is full of them. We both use Niger seed, sunflower hearts and suet blocks. Our local birding shop also recommended using purple or red ribbons in the trees as they are attracted to these colours but that didn't work neither did using thistle heads.