Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Endometrial Biopsey - any experiences  (Read 4227 times)

kew

Endometrial Biopsey - any experiences
« on: March 24, 2016, 08:27:24 PM »

I was due to have a colposcopy today however when I arrived at the clinic was told that the colposcopy nurse wasn't qualified to do the procedure which was somewhat confusing and then got told that they wanted to do an endometrial biopsey which was news to me.  I'd originally been referred for the colposcopy because I'd had two inconclusive smear tests, along with unexplained bleeding after 18 months of no periods - a bit like two mini periods two months in a row.  I've already had an ultrasound which confirmed I have fibroids.

When I originally saw the consultant he agreed that I needed to have a colposcopy but said nothing about a biopsey. The nurse said he probably just wanted to make sure everything was checked.  The nurse has told me to take painkillers half an hour before the appointment which was alarming.

Now have googled it, but just wanted to see if others have had it done, because I'm sure I'm getting myself worried over nothing.  :(

Halfpint

Re: Endometrial Biopsey - any experiences
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 08:38:07 PM »

Hi Kew,
I haven't had one but my friend did as she was having bleeding between periods. Luckily, all was OK. I have had a colposcopy due to abnormal smear which was also fine. I imagine they changed it to the Endometrial Biopsy due to you bleeding after menopause which should always be investigated.
You will have been told to take painkillers as it can leave you in some pain unfortunately. After my colposcopy, it was more like period pain but it only lasted that evening and I felt better the next day.
Try not to worry. When is the biopsy?

kew

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »

the nurse realised just before I arrived so got me another appointment for two weeks time.

Halfpint

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »

Hope it all goes well.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:21 PM »

My gynae did a biopsy about 6 moths ago - I didn't have anaesthetic so the procedure gave a little discomfort but nothing major. If you are suffering with vaginal atrophy and find any examinations down there uncomfortable then I would ask for some Vagifem to use for at least 2 weeks beforehand unless they are doing this under general anaesthetic.  It's usually done to just make sure there is nothing sinister, so a good idea to have it done for peace of mind.  DG x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:17 PM »

I have had 3 hysteroscopies.  The first two were done using local anaethetic injections in the cervix before they put the camera in and although it was uncomfortable it was okay.  The 3rd one they had changed their protocol and unless you asked for the local injections in cervix they didn't do them and it was the worst agony - as bad as childbirth.
So I would say def check with them if they use local injections in your cervix before putting the camera in your womb, if they say no then insist they do it.
My friend who had this happen to her refused pont blank to have any more unless they put her out totally the next time she needed one.
My friend played heck with me because I had not warned her what might happen so this is why I am passing on what happened to me just in case your health authority works same way as mine used to!
So as long as they use the local anaethetic injections in cervix its nothing to worry about at all.

kew

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 07:44:52 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'm seeing my GP next week so I'm going to discuss it with her.

Countrybumpkin, given that the nurse has recommended taking painkillers prior to attending would suggest that they don't give LA.

Period cramps have a totally different meaning for me having had years where I felt I would pass out as a result of period cramps, having been rushed to A&E on a couple of occasions when I did pass out.

There's no way of knowing whether it'll be fine or whether it'll be awful

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 08:11:05 AM »

I had a biopsy done last year, after having an ultrasound, following post menopausal bleeding. I had considerable thickening of the womb lining. I didn't have any kind of pain relief before or during or after. It was uncomfortable, but very quick. I was given the option of having a general anaesthetic, but was warned that I would have to wait a few weeks and encouraged to have it done there and then as the wait would be more worrying than getting it done immediately. I've had much more painful procedures done in the past.

kew

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »

Thanks Ju Ju, I'm exactly the same.  Had the ultrasound following post menopausal bleeding. (my gp thinks it was my hormones having a last blast - as I had all the usual period symptoms).

I think part of my concern is I have a difficult to get to cervix - even going for a normal smear is uncomfortable, as nurses/doctors can get a bit heavy handed (I know they don't mean to).

countrybumpkin

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »

maybe my friend and I just had the butcher Dr for our hysteroscopies ::) although we did have different Dr's. My first 2 were done by same Dr and he was very gentle and as I said just uncomfy but have had much much worse done to me but my last one was done by an older much older lady locum Dr who was medical trainer and that was the one that was as bad but quicker than childbirth!

Hopefully its quick and just uncomfy for you x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »

Hi kew

Yes I had one done too (hysteroscopy and biopsy) - for bleeding/spotting after sex. Was offered one with GA at local hospital but as I've never had one of those didn't want to for a very minor investigation so went to the big city hospital where no anaesthetic. As the others have said I was recommended to take paracetamol and ibuprofen an hour before the procedure - which I did and it was all fine - didn't feel anything.  They said a local wasn't needed and in my case I agree, - that might have been more painful than the procedure! Can't even remember anything untoward afterwards - maybe a bit of minor cramping but nothing to worry about. The consultant who did was obvs very skilled. I wouldn't hesitate nor worry about having another one if needed. :)

Hurdity x

linz57

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 04:31:44 PM »

I have also had an endometrial biopsy and was totally unprepared as I had  only gone along for a scan... Or so I thought. I was given the choice of waiting some weeks to have the procedure performed under general anaesthetic or have it done there and then. I figured the waiting  would cause me great anxiety so I bit the bullet and had it done there and then. No painkillers at all.
I was so nervous but the woman who took the biopsy was brilliant and quick. It didn't hurt half as much as I was expecting and I just had a little bleeding for a day after. Best to get it over and done with as quickly as possible I think.

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 07:10:19 PM »

This mirrored my experience, Linz. No warning or time to worry and the gynaecologist was gentle and quick.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:01 PM »

Maybe the dr I got was actually a pathologist moonlighting and wasn;t used to patients feelilng any pain ::) ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »

Why wasn't a Nurse qualified enough?  I would expect a Consultant to be present anyway …….. it's getting towards the end of the NHS Financial Year so maybe it's a way of putting off procedures? 
Pages: [1] 2