Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vitamin D eureka moment finally, I think  (Read 9785 times)

losttheplot

Re: Vitamin D eureka moment finally, I think
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »

Did you know that mushrooms can take on vitamin D,  just leave them out in the sunshine for half hour before eating  :)

Sarai

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 12:59:09 PM »

Wow lots of great advice.
Yes i do believe I have reactive hypoglycaemia, never shows on tests I even saw an endocrinologist once but he could not 'make it happen' so dismissed me. I did see him after lunch though.
It has been a lifelong thing and my kids are the same too at varying times.
I'm guessing I had settled down quite a lot maybe with change in hormones plus I had taken to carrying nuts and raisins to ward of hunger.
My vitamin D episode came a month after surgery and an infection so my body was below par to be fair. But I believe given that they know vitamin D regulates blood sugar (the Mayo clinic says those with low blood sugars should closely monitored while on it) it simply knocked mine right down.
I was given 40000iu in one go and within an hour was shaking and did keep saying it feels like low blood sugar but nothing I did would help me, it became an anxiety shaking, tingling cycle and as each week progressed I recovered a little only to be given it again. I researched constantly but it was in fact somebody on here who led me to the Mayo clinic page, by that time I had had 4 lots. At that point I refused more and got another blood test and my levels had shot to 97 my dr was very shocked.It was a false high though as another month later they were 63.
Yesterday I did not have the pill with it in and was my normal, today I have had soya milk (it has vitamin D in) on my cereal and am pretty wobbly and tingly, so its either the cumulative effect of double Vitamin D in the both items.
I think being reactive normally the extra tips me over, certainly in how I feel. So my lunch has fish, potatoes and greens, no added vitamin D, i will see if I feel better after that.
It seems to me I have a problem if its the way the stuff regulates sugar in my brain certainly, it may not be the make of it but the stuff itself. Oddly i do love the sun but it does make me very sleepy if I have too much so maybe. Oh golly I dont know.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:01:07 PM by Sarai »

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 02:28:31 PM »

I am finding the sub lingual spray of 25mcgs is not causing me any problems so far.  My endocrinologist was all for it and did not say it needed other things to make it work properly.  He takes it himself as he is dark skinned and therefore deficient in vitamin D as we don't get enough sunlight in our country.

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »

I also think that if anyone feels they may be at risk from low Vit D through not having enough sun exposure throughout the summer months, to last the winter - then take cod liver oil (the pure stuff in a bottle if they still make it - not the concentrated capsules with added vitamins) regularly and then no-one would need to have any of these high doses and all the problems that entails. I would agree there is no recommendation that I know of that you need to take anything else with it - the rest can defo be obtained from diet as far as I know. There are ( mainly Amercian I think) sites that will try to tell you you need all the other things too but not sure any of this is evidenced based - correct me if I'm wrong sparky!

Hurdity :) x

coldethyl

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »

I think that Vit k is needed with VIt d to help direct calcium away from soft tissues including the heart to the bone. Vitamin d helps to direct calcium from gut into the bloodstream and you don't want it deposited in the arteries. It's a very well documented interplay.
https://riordanclinic.org/2013/10/vitamins-d3-and-k2-the-dynamic-duo/

Sarai

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 04:10:20 PM »

Yes I know the need for vitamin K but here in the UK they simply do not care, we lag behind on so many things. Vitamin d causing calcium toxicity is documented.
Also with regards to magnesium, yes it was the Americans first but now here they have learnt and are adding it to many makes. I was also told by a pharmacist that vitamin D3 depletes magnesium in the brain, she found out to her cost when taking a much lower dose than me.
And of course conversely there are people who can easily tolerate the large doses, my audiologist is Indian and was taking 40000iu like me and he felt wonderful on it, as always it depends on a persons body how they will react.
My body is very sensitive, i honestly go light headed on paracetamol.
For my last operation I asked for a 'little' anaesthetic, they of course refused. But I warned I would struggle, and I did. They could not bring me around for hours, then they could not stop my heart racing and I had to be kept in as I was shaking so much and could not stand. Everybody else having the same small op, woke up, had tea and toast and went home the same day.

Ann54

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 12:34:04 AM »

Can large amounts of Vitamin D cause heart palpitations, PVC's, PAC's? I was given an Rx for 50,000 units to take weekly for 6 weeks and I am afraid to because I have read it can cause heart irregularities. My Vitamin D level was pretty low, but I don't want to cause any issues with my heart. Thanks, Ann

babyjane

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »

I take a multi vitamin every day which contains 5ug of vit D and also containk vit K.  I have been found to be low in vit D and advised to supplement so I got a vit D spray which contains 25ug (1000iu) giving me a total of 30ug a day.  I found some advice on the NHS website that advises to take no more than 25ug a day (and yet far in excess of that is given).

Anyway if I use the spray every day I find I get jittery and my pulse increases so I tend to use it 2 or 3 times a week until my levels are rechecked in july.
Pages: 1 [2]