Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Irregular Heartbeat and hot flushes  (Read 4657 times)

Sheilanne

Irregular Heartbeat and hot flushes
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:22:09 PM »

Hi, I'm a 52 year old and have just joined here today so hi everyone.
Suppose I'm looking for some reassurance.
Does anyone else have a heart that thinks it's at a nightclub, most of the day but mainly through the night to the point it keeps you awake ?  Also having really hot episodes, not just flushes but they seem to go on forever. No sweating, just heat.
Im putting all my symptoms down to pre menopause however the nurse at my recent smear made a comment that has me questioning this. I'm not the kind of person who worries about things however on this occasion would be good to know others have these symptoms too. Thank you.

Hurdity

Re: Irregular Heartbeat and hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »

Hi Sheilanne

:welcomemm:

Palpitations and similar are symptoms of peri-menopause - the hormones are surging up and down at this time.

What are your periods doing - have you started missing them yet, or is your cycle still regular? Often just before peri-menopause - in the late reproductive stage - women start to get symptoms as hormonal activity changes and pms can become more extreme at this time.

I know the hot feeling - I got this in the months before I started getting hot flushes and wondering if this is what hot flushes were - until they actually started!!

What did the nurse say to you?

You could also get your thyroid checked because over-active thyroid can cause overheating and racing heart - although in most women the thyroid tends to become underactive with age, often around the time of menopausal symptoms.

Hurdity x

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »

I'm 52 and get the palpitations and missed heart beats etc.

Sometimes they like to put you on an ecg monitor at the doctors, to make sure it isn't something else.  A friend had it done.  I'm not sure if I should ask - no one has ever offered it to me  ::)

Sheilanne

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:09:21 PM »

Hi, and thank you both for your replies.
Had ECG done but it showed nothing. Told nurse that things are always worse at night and that doing Ecg in the morning wouldn't show up anything. That was about 6 weeks ago now.
Dahliagirl, I would definitely ask for one, and Hurdity, my last period was 8th January so definitely slowing down.
I have decided to go back to the doctor tomorrow, will ask about thyroid. Last time I told gp about symptoms I asked if all menopausal but he said I was more likely to be depressed and gave me anti depressants which I didn't take. I'm not depressed, I'm a really happy person and have nothing to be depressed about.
Thought I would come in here and hopefully others would have the same issues. If menopausal which in sure it is I will just have to get on with it. Thanks again x

dogdoc

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »

Yes almost only at night and almost only at 'ovulation' ...whatever the heck is going on then. Very uncomfortable sensation. Full workup. All normal. :(

Sheilanne

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:07:36 AM »

Thanks, love being female !  ::)quote author=dogdlink=topic=31453.msg498637#msg498637 date=1458770142]
Yes almost only at night and almost only at 'ovulation' ...whatever the heck is going on then. Very uncomfortable sensation. Full workup. All normal. :(

[/quote]

Kate50

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:38:12 AM »

What did the nurse say to you? ?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 09:08:03 AM »

Hi again Sheilanne

if you have started missing periods then it does sound like you are peri-menopausal. As for "getting on with it" - there really is help if you would like it - in the form of HRT. Maybe not just yet if you feel you haven't gone far enough down this route yet - but it will make you feel a whole lot better - provided you get the right product. As for the ADs yet another mistaken prescription from an ignorant doctor - to many women are being prescribed these needlessly - when as you say, they aren't depressed - just suffering from hormonal turmoil! ADs are not supposed to be prescribed at this time of life if there is any indication you might be menopausal!

Hurdity x

Ann54

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 03:57:26 PM »

HRT may not be possible for some women, wasn't for me because of a strong family history of female cancers. I did take an AD for about a year, helped a lot with the irregular heart beats but then decided they were gone and the peri anxiety was under control. That was mistake. The pvc's and pac's ramped back up, tried an AD again with no success. I have been post menopause for 7 years, still have heart issues, should have been more aggressive with treatment while in my peri years.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 08:31:05 PM »

Hello ladies.

Ann54.

I haven't had a period in almost six years but I spent the first three thinking things were bound to improve at some point but they just got worse. Like you I wonder if I'd asked for help sooner perhaps things would be better now.

Oh well, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Take care.

K.