Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can you be oestrogen dominant and still have low oestrogen?  (Read 2954 times)

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Can you be oestrogen dominant and still have low oestrogen?
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:20:20 PM »

Just wondering if the above was possible? 

I know it's very early days on oestrogel, day 14, but have noticed an increase in my anxiey, irrational thinking and low mood.  Could it be possible that i am oestrogen dominant and need to add more progesterone?

Also out of interest, is the above concept possible?

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
Re: Can you be oestrogen dominant and still have low oestrogen?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »

At the moment I am taking 1 pump oestrogel and am due to start the Progesterone on Monday.

I'm peri at the moment and cycle has totally disappeared. I saw a  gyny on Tuesday, he said my lining was thin so was thinking that that meant oestrogen. But occured to me that i may not have enough progesterone.

Have tried F1/10 before and had no noticeable side effects.

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »

Were you on something before the gel? If not, day 14 really is too soon to say. Some seem to have nearly instant results, but I was very up and down the first several weeks beginning estrogen.
I think (not sure) that it is possible to be both dominant and low in estrogen. Our progesterone levels decline before our estrogen levels, so if you've been estrogen dominant for some time, with little to no progesterone, and your estrogen levels are now falling, logically it could happen, but what's logic in peri?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »

Mis71mum - the whole thing about balancing hormones is a tricky one and in the peri stage this is particularly difficult.  The idea of being oestrogen dominant can be a red herring.  If your womb lining is thin then you are certainly not getting too much oestrogen.  If you are using Utrogestan, then as Stellajane says, see how that goes - many of us find it has a calming effect!!!!
HRT is a not a cure all - anxiety and low mood need a holistic approach and HRT is just one part of what one needs to get this under control. CBT or some Mindfulness is important - basically learn to relax and take life more easily. Beware of over thinking things.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 05:31:49 PM »

Hi Mis71Mum

I totally agree with Dancinggirl on this one - the concept of oestrogen dominance is a distraction. The only time it is relevant is when during peri-menopausal you have anovulatory cycles ( ie no ovulation) so the womb lining continues to build up and then you don't have a period so it becomes thicker than it need be - then when you eventually do ovulate, the bleed is heavy.

The idea of oestrogen dominance even at low levels of oestrogen, causing adverse symptoms is nonsense! We are all oestrogen dominant in the first part of our menstrual cycles when most women feel at their best ( once the bleed has past). it is only after ovulation when oestrogen begins to fall overall, and progesterone rises and then drops sharply - that women experience their worst symptoms of pms - and we are most definitely if anything, progesterone dominant then!

However increasing exogenous oestrogen ( ie from outside rather than from your ovaries) can cause temporary sdie effects - because it is quite a crude way of mimicking what happens in our bodies. It is important to increase oestrogen doses gradually and let the body acclimatise for a few weeks at least, before deciding whether you need to increase or decrease.

I'm sure I will have linked to this article when you first joined but here it is again - about the peri-menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hurdity x :)

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 05:45:15 PM »

I have found the oestrogel slow in building up so when I started I got some of my old symptoms back.  Was told it would take about 3 months to build up and wasee also told not to start utrogestan until been on oestrogel 2 months

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »

The effects of HRT will vary from women to women so the build up and benefits of oestrogen will vary.  For me the  build up is slow and even when I stop using oestrogen it takes up to 4 weeks before flushes etc return - I think I store oestrogen quite well!!!!

Getting the right amount of oestrogen generally is tricky, even if one is post meno. Generally it is best to use the minimal dose that keeps most meno symptoms under control. Taking account that the buildup and benefits of oestrogen can take longer on a low dose doesn't mean one should increase dosage too soon - as Kate50 says, it can take 3 months for the levels and benefits to come through and we so often read posts on MM where women constantly tinker with doses resulting in too much oestrogen being used which can give more side effects. I do think patience is important when starting any HRT regime. Dg x

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Will see how I get on with the Progesterone and will keep it to 1 pump only of oestrogel.

I just can't understand why I am so tired all the time, but I'm wondering if my AD's may be contributing to that by keeping my body calm.  Think I am going to restart my iron tablets and my vitamin d again just to see if they can give me a boost of energy.

I also have a reflexology session booked next week so am hoping that will promote relaxation.  Also have the next week off from work, so may be able to recharge my batteries, and get more daylight, now the clocks are going forward this weekend.

Yes will also get back into the mindfulnes techniques again.....as I have really left them slip of late.