Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: low blood pressure  (Read 3804 times)

dolly64

low blood pressure
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:34:23 AM »

HI.
wanting to ask other low blood pressure sufferers how they cope and if anyone has any self help tips or things that help them
in their day to day life.
Dr has reduced my propranolol to 10mg twice a day,finally cut 10mg out slowly as even doing by a quarter made me feel yuk.
told to stay on new dose for a month,still getting diastolic readings low 50s certain times of day and evidently affecting me more when im standing,walking.
trying to drink more than I would normally.feeling really fed up,hate the woozy head.
dolly64.

Dancinggirl

Re: low blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

I doubt this is sensible advice but when I lived in Austria and Germany over 30 years ago, the people who suffered with low blood pressure were told to have champagne with breakfast to get the pressure up!!!!
I do however wonder if a small amount of alcohol, maybe half a glass of wine or a little beer with food might get the circulation going???? When I did my personal liqueur license, on the course one has to do we did learn that over the age of 50 a little alcohol a few times week actually reduces your risk of stroke and heart disease etc!!!! It keeps the blood moving better!!! DG x

star35

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 07:39:07 PM »

Hi dolly 64 when I had low blood pressure a few years ago I was told to increase my salt in take and drink plenty of water. I was also told unless it was causing any symptoms I didn't need to worry. Obviously your doctor needs to keep a check on it.it always affected me more on walking and standing up, but if I done this really slowly then I was ok. Hope you feel better soon.

Kate50

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 08:23:54 PM »

Hi dolly64
This was the reason I finally went on hrt after so many other things this was last resort for me.  With palpitations as well mine kept dropping when I laid down in bed at night and when i stood up. Went for heart checks etc and was offered propanol but didn't want to take it. So took the oestrogen and it started to get better.  With the way the adrenals can crash when you go into menopause it's not suprising your blood pressure drops.  Himilayan pink salt is the best but I tried that and it wasn't enough. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »

That Kate is because salt is salt where ever it is mined from!!!!! i.e. in Cheshire or Anglesey?

Have you been advised to have the end of the bed raised in order to ease low blood pressure feelings?  There is always a reason so stopping the BP medication might be the 1st step to see if it evens out.  Remember to stand up slowly and roll onto your side in bed B4 trying to get out.  If necessary to onto hands and knees then stand slowly.

However, I have a feeling of sudden wooziness because I have a nerve in the back of my neck - if I turn my head suddenly it makes me go 'oh!' but it lasts a few seconds only.  If symptoms continue maybe a cervical spine X-ray?

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 09:41:27 PM »

Himilayan pink salt is not refined like a lot of salt so you get the best raw ingredients.

dolly64

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »

HI,
thankyou for your response.
After another 3months I have a period turned up,dr predicted it last week ?! :o.she said expect very heavy,hoping not the case as off for a few days away today,bloody typical isn't it.
So perhaps the low blood pressure is to do with hormones ,made worse by the propranolol.
Im adding some salt to diet,still trying drink more,water not champagne though,i only need a glass of that and im away with the fairies.
I read that coconut water is good for raising blood pressure and almond milk,im trying both,worth a shot.
Will hopefully get some good relax chances for a few days,feet raised ect,inbetween walking the dogs.
Thanks again.
dolly64.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »

Hopefully once you've weaned off the propanolol you will feel better. Some have low blood pressure naturally - I am one although not in the 50's - usually something over 100 over something in the 60's - but I still feel a bit dizzy sometimes.

As for salt - as CLKD says salt = salt = salt = sodium chloride!! Common salt that is. If you are asked to eat more or less salt - then that is what you are needing - pure sodium chloride.  Any of the sea salts or any other fancy salt - do contain minute amounts other minerals - but these are irrelevant to blood pressure, so neither here nor there whether you have them in this context!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »

It is awfully un-green to mine salt and cart it from the Himaliya, however pink it might be  >:(.  I would hate to meet the 'raw' ingredients in un-refined salt  :D

My M in L was told to cut salt out of her diet and it almost killed her. She was on a diuretic and developed cramp in her hands so badly that she couldn't hold a cup, I kept telling her to add more salt to her diet but she wouldn't believe me.  If I had cramp my Granny would say 'not enough salt' - end of  ::).

Lots more green veggies might help?  Drinking too much can be dangerous.  Maybe an input/output of fluid intake is an idea? messy but will give you an idea as to how much you are taking on board, plus there is usually liquid in our diet too.

Coconut water is 'modern'.  The best way to get coconut 'milk' is by buying coconuts, smashing them with a hammer and draining directly …….. the packaged stuff is nowt like 'milk' drunk directly  ;)

Kate50

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:39:19 PM »

We're all entitled to our opinions be respectful !