Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks  (Read 2677 times)

Annidav

Insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks
« on: March 21, 2016, 04:20:32 AM »

Hi - I am new to this forum but have found it a comfort to see I am not alone; I was on 40 mg mirtazapine and 30mg propranolol but due to weight gain and bloating I have stopped taking these tablets; I am back to suffering from insomnia, which leads to anxiety and then panic attacks as I lie in bed catastrophising everything - so latterly have found that by coming downstairs, having a cup of tea and, say, doing the ironing, helps but I wondered if anyone is on any other medication which does not cause weight gain, or any natural remedies? I am on the verge of going back to see my doctor but before doing so wondered what others do to cope? I am not allowed HRT as my mother had breast cancer and so am considered high risk; Thanks

Spangles

Re: Insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 07:04:22 AM »

Hi Annidav,
I know how you feel, it's a shame you can't have the HRT. Have you thought of trying a different AD? I tried mortal aping but it didn't suit me so I went back to citalopram, not perfect but better.
Sometimes it takes awhile to find drugs that suit us.
Hope you get sorted soon.
Shellb
xXx

vickypk

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:13:48 PM »

Hi Annidav
I had a lot of problems with the menopause for the past two years or so.  I had anxiety and I couldn't leave the house at times.  I tried citalopram but couldn't get on with that.  I have been using HRT for the past few months.  Everything is better but still get days when I think the anxiety has come back, but mostly okay.
I am not even sure really if I should be using HRT as my mum had breast cancer. 
Best wishes
Vickypkx

lisa789

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »

I suffer with panic disorder and agoraphobia so there's not many anti depressants I haven't tried. Like you I experienced the weight gain with mirtazipine.

Due to gastric reasons I never got on with any of the SSRI/SNRI medications either and the start up and withdrawal effects can be unpleasant for some people.

One anti depressant that gave me no side effects was trazodone. You take it at night as it has a mild sedative in it so helps with insomnia.

You could try the alternative remedies listed on the treatment section of this site. Good luck x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »

Like you I too cannot use synthetic hrt due to family breast cancer.

I tried mitrazapine as well and got severe gastric side effects and weight gain and had to give up fairly swiftly.

I think all these types of anti depressants give the same side effects if you are prone to them.
I haven't tried the old type tricyclic ones like amiltry or trazedone so can't comment on them.
Passionflower herbal remedies are supposed to help with mild anxiety but I wouldn't say our anxiety is mild!