Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Periods - looking for a bit of reassurance please  (Read 2148 times)

Jan1163

Periods - looking for a bit of reassurance please
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »

Hi, I'm fairly new, I first posted last September when I had the onset of hot flushes.  Well, they lasted a couple of months then went away again completely, so not sure what's going on there, but I'm not complaining.   

My periods have been very irregular for at least 2 years, sometimes two or three weeks apart, at others missing completely for a couple of months.   They have also been getting lighter.  Then I had one on July 24 and went a whopping 202 days until February 11th. That's it I had thought, they're really stopping this time ..... but apparently not. 

Another one started approximately a month later in Mid March, sorry don't know the exact date as I wasn't well, so I didn't bother noting it down. Round about the 12th which would be about a month after the previous one.  Like the most recent ones it was very light, in fact it's gone on about a week now and I haven't really been using pads or anything, it really only showed itself when I went to the loo and marked my underwear slightly.  That was until this morning I got up and it's become really quite heavy.  Is that OK, when a light one has already been going on about a week?  Before things went haywire my normal periods lasted 5 days, so I tend to worry a bit when something goes on for a week and shows no sign of stopping.  I suppose I just want reassurance that it will stop sometime and I'm not going to bleed to death.   ::)

I don't really want to bother the doctor.  I'm afraid I have a tendency towards health anxiety and have made a couple of visits already this year, with things that turned out to be me getting worked up over nothing.  I did go to see her a couple of years ago when I had a period which lasted a week longer than normal, but that continued very light after it should have finished, it didn't suddenly go heavy like this one.  She told me then that they don't worry about length, or irregularly of periods really, only abnormal bleeding in between.  I had a clear smear test in the summer of 2014 and also a scan of the abdomen, pelvic area which was normal, except for one 1cm fibroid which wasn't causing any problem and I wasn't even aware of.  I was sent for that as I was having stomach pain/bloating, but it was eventually put down to IBS.

I'm not on HRT or anything.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:08:26 PM by Jan1163 »

coldethyl

Re: Periods - looking for a bit of reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »

Sounds pretty normal to me for the peri. I've had ones that have been nothing for few days then bam and ones that have gone on and on in fits and starts. If you continue bleeding heavily for weeks might be worth getting iron levels checked in case you become anaemic. It's more bleeding after sex or unexplained bleeding especially post meno that they worry about.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:35:10 PM »

Sounds 'within normal limits' from where I'm sitting.  My periods became less heavy (thank goodness) without pain, would wax and wane - I would miss 9-10 months between and then have several bleeds B4 they disappeared again  ::).  After 2-3 years they disappeared PHEW!

Because the hormones are having a party sometimes there isn't enough umph to cleanse the womb at once and bleeds can carry on sometimes brown discharge, at other times bright red blood.  Keeping a note is important but unless you are having intense pain or see black blood, I wouldn't worry too much.

Do you have a Practice Nurse you could ask?

Jan1163

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 09:36:10 PM »

Ah thanks, that sounds reassuring.  There's no pain at all, and nothing black. 

I do have an appointment for an asthma check on Wednesday with the Practice Nurse.  I could slip the question in then, if it's still going on.  If it's stopped then I'll chalk it down to premenopausal period irregularities.