Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Very bad period type pains, 10 years after hysterectomy?  (Read 7362 times)

mumofthree

Very bad period type pains, 10 years after hysterectomy?
« on: March 19, 2016, 11:57:36 AM »

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for quite a while. I had a hysterectomy ten years ago but kept my ovaries (it was for a prolapse of bladder & bowel). I've had lots of hormone problems for past two years but things have settled down for past few months and I know when things were at their worst it was due to stress which badly affected my hormones, but thats a whole other story!

Last month I had a very bad day of fear/anxiety out of nowhere. The day before I was irrationally cross and caused and argument with hubby. Next day I had bad period type pains which is odd considering I have no womb but thought maybe it was from my ovaries? So I put it all in my diary.

Two days ago (24 days since last time) I had what I can only explain felt like a HUGE contraction, like the ones during full blown labour!! It went across my tummy and round my back and lasted about 5 mins. I then had bad period type pains for 2 days. It felt like if I was on my period It'd be really really heavy. I looked online and it says period pains come from the womb contracting. My question is, if I don't have a womb or cervix, where is the pain coming from? Is this a meno' symptom? I'm still a bit achey but not as bad as I was.

Thank you in advance x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Very bad period type pains, 10 years after hysterectomy?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:16:22 PM »

Oh crikey, poor you!  I had bad period pains for years. 

Could the symptoms be hormonal which is affecting the surrounding nerves and remaining muscles?  Bypassing the 'womb' area ?

Is there a hysterectomy web-site - if you find out, do let us know!

Pollie

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »

Hi mumofthree

I sometimes get pains from diverticulitis which are EXACTLY like period pains....

I'm not saying this is what you have -  just that other types of pain can be like period pains and maybe you have some inflammation elsewhere ?

Obviously you don't need me to tell you if they persist go to GP etc etc

HTH

Pollie

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »

There are many causes for abdominal pain so I would pop to the GP to be checked out. After a operation like yours there can be adhesions that might play up, a hernia or simply some lower back problems that could all give quite nasty pain. I'd get some peace of mind.
Are you on some oestrogen?  MumofthreeDg x

mumofthree

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »

Thanks for the replies...

I'm not on eostrogen Dancinggirl.

Pollie, I've suffered from IBS for 24 years so know my tummy pains quite well but I've never had Diverticulitis. It feels like a dragging pain/ache especially when I go to the loo. I'm also quite bloated.

I'll make a routine appt. to get checked out.

x
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:00:19 PM by mumofthree »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »

Let us know how you get on!  Are you drinking plenty?  Has your diet altered in the last 3 months?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »

I've had this too - almost two years since my hysterectomy and what I had put down to period type pains (I was on HRT) turns out to have been bowel related all along. It's a really horrible squeezing sensation? Feels like you have to bear down? My doc thinks that it is scar tissue and that my bowel hasn't "settled" properly into the gap yet. I've had this since about six months after my op though. If this is a new thing for you after ten years then I agree that you should get it checked out. Let us know how you get on.

Could you have developed a prolapse? Mine gave me a dragging pain. Prolapse is really common after hysterectomy.

Taz x