Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: IBS or something else!  (Read 17341 times)

Halfpint

Re: IBS or something else!
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 03:15:05 PM »

Jinja, yes I have looked at the bad list and it is interesting. In the last two years I have found there is only a certain type of bread I can eat and if I try to eat healthy brown bread, it really irritates me. Eating out nowadays always has an effect no matter what I eat from a restaurant or takeaway irritates me. There is only one takeaway near me that I'm OK with but it's a 20 minute drive and they don't deliver so it's a once a month treat.
I don't eat ice cream as I also suffer with my sinuses and catarrh and ice cream really effects it as does wheat and most dairy.

Babsm67

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 05:57:43 PM »

I had IBS for years (had two sigmoidoscopies over 10 years) & put it down to stress & anxiety (as I have always had periods of anxiety).  The anxiety definitely gives me an upset stomach!  However, in 2014,  I found out I had food intolerances to dairy, yeast (which explained why bread gave me problems), eggs & Brazil nuts (which always made my throat sore & gave me tummy cramps).  After cutting those foods out of my diet & gradually reintroducing them, I found I can tolerate foods containing eggs but all the others are no-no's as they still cause problems (bloating, wind, cramps, skin reactions).  I did have a glass of fizzy apple juice the other week & that triggered off the muscle spasms in my gut as well (don't know why!).  On the who!e, the IBS has calmed down since I cut those foods out of my diet (miss eating bread & cheese though!) X

Halfpint

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »

Sparkle - I rarely eat out anymore for same reason. Every single time I am left with bloated stomach and trapped wind.

MadBloss - my friend spent years trying to get to the bottom of his GERD problems and in the end found out it was intolerances to alcohol, coffee, gluten and dairy.

Food intolerances are becoming more common. Of course when I had my children, new health guidelines came out about not weaning babies too soon and definitely not giving them wheat/gluten before six months old as they had found that IBS/Crohns etc were thought to have been caused by people having being weaned too early and given wheat too early or something (my memory is not what it was!).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »

10 mins. B4 a bleed I would have to dash to the loo with 'the runs' so obviously for me it was hormone related.  I couldn't travel around that 'time of the month'  >:( we had to plan our holidays appropriately.

Stress makes mine worse.  So does waiting for Mum to phone on a Monday. (she's 89 and well).  As does travelling on a Motorway.  I immediately have to clench the buttocks  :-\

Halfpint

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:46 PM »

Sparkle, I wear mostly jeggings that have an elasticated waist. My stomach has been bloated for days plus I've got my period today but I just got undressed and have a red mark from where my waistband was. I've put my comfy pj's on and now the wind is letting loose!

Halfpint

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »

I just looked up something else on the forum and came across you again Sparkle where you were querying pink blood mixed with mucus at the start of your period I think it was last year? This is what mine is like today. I've also noticed the last two months I'm getting very bloated before and during my period. For a while now I have been getting very painful boobs (mainly the left one) around ovulation although didn't get it this month which was a relief.

Halfpint

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »

I feel for you sparkle, must be very frustrating. Although I have awful period pain (which I rarely suffered from before peri), I certainly felt my PMT and anxiety lift when I came on today.
I have always had bad PMT but nowadays it feels like I have it all month!
How long have you been in peri? X

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 09:36:19 PM »

I HATED that bloating  :sigh: but in hindsight, it was the start of IBS  :-\.

Taz2

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 10:40:56 PM »

This is an American site but does talk about the link between IBS and menstrual cycles http://www.aboutibs.org/site/signs-symptoms/gynecological-aspects

Taz x
Thanks for that Taz, sums me up to a tee!  My IBS symptoms leapt into overdrive at puberty and my periods started just before my 11th birthday.  I've had gynae and gastro issues since then so about 44 years.  You'd think I'd be used to it all by now!

S x

That sounds similar to me Sparkle. Started periods at 10 and the tummy problem was already beginning. I'm 62 now.... but still not used to all of the bowel stuff!!

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »

There is always hope - it's just that it sometimes gets a little buried under everything else! ;D  I think that anxiety and IBS go hand in hand but it's difficult to see which drives which. It's normal to feel anxious if your bowels are unpredictable but, then again, bowels get unpredictable when you are anxious. Chicken and egg!

Taz x

Halfpint

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:15 PM »

Hi Sparkle, I think it started late 2013 but started feeling odd Spring 2014 and went to Dr and he suggested menopause.

Halfpint

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as to call him understanding! He was very offhand. He also said I had arthritis and just told me to take ibupofren, and exercise. I have recently changed GP Surgery and now have a lovely female GP, so I'm hoping she is more understanding if I ever go to her with menopause problems.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:35 PM »

Go before you have problems?
Pages: 1 2 [3]