Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT and gallbladder  (Read 2021 times)

Harana

HRT and gallbladder
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »

Hi folks - I've had 3 severe gall bladder attacks in the last 3 months. The last 2 were 19th jan and then 22 feb - wondering if there is a monthly pattern or cycle. As I can't seem to pin it to particular foods.
I'm very anxious this weekend and next week I head away on holiday. I'm on ellest duet conti since December having been on Prempack c for a year and a half but symptoms returned. I'm 43 and feeling a bit isolated and down. I had forgotten I had medical insurance through my husband's work. So since the last attack I've had a scan gallstones confirmed and seen a consultant who has booked op for May. Has anyone any experience of gallbladder hrt issues either pre or post op? Consultant told me to keep taking hrt I wouldn't need to stop for op.
Thank you

dazned

Re: HRT and gallbladder
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »

I had my gallbladder out about 5 years ago as an emergency admission so obviously no time to stop ,the doctor knew what medications I was taking and nnever commented on hrt so just continued as normal.  Hope your soon pain free.

Taz2

Re: HRT and gallbladder
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »

Hi Harana - gall bladder problems can be caused by HRT so your doc may wish to review which type you are using. The patient information leaflet for Elleste duet conti does mention that you need to mention to your doc if you have gallstones as they can be made worse by HRT. It's under "When to take special care.." https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20967

Taz x