Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Can I have a new spine please.  (Read 11907 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can I have a new spine please.
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »

Could it be functional, i.e. whilst bent over the stomach muscles have been relaxed.  Now that your spine is returning to 'normal' those stomach muscles are protesting?

Maybe some gentle exercise - laying on the bed tightening up and relaxing those tummy muscles.  Did you manage to keep a straight face or did you have to 'fess up?  ;D

countrybumpkin

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »

I listened intently while he was gently stretching my neck just for you all and he makes a sound like a steam engine on the out breath, little chuffing sounds ;D ;D

The things I do for mm forum

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »

:thankyou:   did you tell him  :P

PS - how soon B4 you notice any difference?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 07:41:37 PM by CLKD »

countrybumpkin

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »

I never said a word to him just smiled to myself and though of you lot ;D ;D
The acupuncture and ultrasound have made a huge difference and my pain level and movement is much better, the only trouble is that it does not last for more than a few days and then normal life and bad chairs affect the back again.
I do tend to go through bad spells where I keep siezing up every few weeks and I get to the point where I am about to ask for pain clinic referral and woud let them do invasive stuff when it settles down for a few months - not good exaclty but not as bad and I don't bother taking it any further. 
The other thing is that my spine quite obviously has conversations about which bit it going to be the worst every day so once one bit settles down for a bit another bit goes whey hey its my turn now ::) ::)

Poppi

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 02:27:41 PM »

I have heard of the Alexander Technique (opera singers use it a lot) and it seems to be effective (I'm not an opera singer) apparently. I suppose good stretching, concentrated deep breathing and using your body properly can only help? Mr.Pop bought me an exercise ball at the weekend (I tried to blow it up yesterday but the nozzle wouldn't stay in so husnabd to the rescue yet again!) and I watched Emmerdale while bouncing about
I'm not sure about the NHS physio I see through the pain clinic - she asked me to stand up so I stood up, deep breath in, shoulders back and she said "NO!" then showed me her skeleton thingey - is the spine straight? she asked and I answered no. She said people wrongly believe that a straight spine is good. I have a phone appointment tomorrow to review the facet joint injection I had 8 weeks ago. I'm almost back to 100% pain and feel so down, the only time I feel good is at bedtime when I know I'll have 8 hours of comfort.
Off to read some other posts now, thank you for making me so welcome ladies!
Poppi xx

Kathleen

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 02:40:55 PM »

Hello ladies.

I know nothing about bad backs fortunately although my husband and MIL are sufferers. However when my son was younger he had some boxing lessons and they were taught to blow noisily when throwing a punch. I can't remember why this technique helps but maybe when your therapists are exerting themselves they have to do something similar?

Take care everyone.

K.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2016, 03:53:03 PM »

Kathleen you made me laugh as I was on the wrong track and could not work out how blowing noisily would help my bad back until I got to the end of your post and realised you were talking about my chiro heavy breathing ;D ;D ;D

Hi Poppi, hope you don't have any " accidnets" bouncing on yoru ball!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »

Meant to say that my actual back is still much better after the chiro etc but i have intense pins and needles in my left buttock when I sit down and when I walk I have sharp pain in right thigh ::)  At least I am today a very balanced person ;D

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 05:07:31 PM »

You probably need to change your seats? perhaps sitting on a chair slightly higher means that you won't be bending down to sit (clear as mud?).  Or get a cushion to raise your bum ……… what I'm trying to say is don't sit into a deep chair/sofa.  Same with the mattress, we have a deeper one which is more comfy and means that we don't have to sit 'down' in order to get into the bed!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »

I have a tempur cloud mattress on a high oak sleigh bed. I love the tempur cloud its the really deep one and cost the same as  a small car :o
Chairs are my worst enemy even with my cushion on them. So many places have very saggy upholstered chairs, plus not standing still for too long and no getting down on the floor to play with my grandson.
I'm a delicate little flower really ( okay not little ;D)

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »

;D …….. maybe find a chair that is really comfy, one that you can take with you?  I had to carry a cushion after a coxxy (sp) injury many years ago >blush< but it helped enormously. 

We have a huge bed with deep mattress ;-).  Cosy cosy cosy  :)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »

I have found all folding chairs that are light enough for you to carry around with you are only designed for someone under 6 stones ;D

I have a directors chair that I take to other peoples houses but its so blooming heavy carrying it does as much damage as sitting on a bad chair ::)

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »

:-\ …… are you good at designing, I feel a niche here  ;).  A dog bean-bed is OK to haul around but again, it means getting down and then up from it.

Kate50

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »

Just another one to throw in.  Google Eric Franklin. The Franklin Method his thoughts on damaged Fascia he has sone good exercises they are simple but work.  He has a website you can sign up to with some exercise  video clips on and he does books etc

countrybumpkin

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »

Oh thank you, have never head of him, will have a google.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4