Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: It is all so confusing....  (Read 2256 times)

matildamouse

It is all so confusing....
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:42:38 AM »

:-\  I am 52, postmenopausal and on continuous BHRT since Oct 2015 managed by a menopause centre. After a clinical review two weeks ago the consultant sent me a mail to slightly adjust my estrogen dosage as per my symptoms. She says for some women their estrogen dosage might need slight asjustment as per their symptoms which usually happens in a 2 weekly cycle. This is part of her mail:

Symptoms guide for increasing Oestrogen dose:
Increase dose if having hot flushes, night sweats, flat/low moods, vaginal dryness, excessive sleep, groggy in morning.

Reduce dose if having overheated body core temp, irritable/anxious/cranky moods, fluid retention, bloating, breast engorgement or tenderness, intense headaches, increased appetite/cravings, increased vaginal secretions or any other symptom of premenstrual nature.

On my current regime my hot flushes went away and I felt good. THe last few days my hot flushes are returning and I thought I might need to increase my estrogen.... just to find some spotting yesterday morning and today.

So your thoughts on increasing my estrogen dosage despite the spotting? I have no other symptoms of any of the one's mentioned in her mail. Thanks.

matildamouse

Re: It is all so confusing....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:38:33 AM »

Thanks Stellajane. Interesting what you said! What she meant was the fluctuations(if they occur) usually happen in a 2 weekly cycle and this is 2 weeks now since I decreased my estrogen. Makes me wonder if I might still have a bit of my own hormones cycling though I had 18 months of NO period at all before I started HRT.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »

There might be some variation in absorption if you are on a non standard form of HRT?

Many of the symptoms in the second para can also be caused by progesterone.

Hurdity x

matildamouse

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. It did cross my mind regards the progesterone which make it even more confusing. I realised I also have a bit of acne of late. What a minefield! I am waiting for the centre to respond to my query which usually takes a few days.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:46 PM »

Hello matildamouse.

Trying to balance our hormones results in a permanent state of confusion in my opinion lol.

Am I right in thinking that your consultant believes spotting is a sign that oestrogen should be reduced but you think your other symptoms mean you require more oestrogen?  No wonder you are confused!

Hopefully you will hear from your centre soon and all will be made clear!

Take care and let us know how you get on.

K.

matildamouse

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 02:12:20 AM »

So true Kathleen. The only certainty in HRT is the confusion...

Yes re the estrogen. ANd then the same symptoms might be side effects of progesterone!!! :-\