Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Just saying hello!  (Read 5293 times)

grumpy2008

Just saying hello!
« on: August 07, 2016, 04:35:19 PM »

Hi, just catching up with anyone who remembers me <waves>. I was quite active on the forum until early last year. You might remember that I came here struggling with peri-meno and found a lot of support and friendship here, which I still value. But then I was diagnosed with breast cancer which knocked me for six! I'm happy to report that everything's ok. I've fully recovered from my operation (it was three years ago), and take tamoxifen which has pushed me into menopause. Hot flushes are my current worse side-effect and some aches and pains, but it feels like a small price to pay :).

So last year, when I started feeling more myself again, the situation with my elderly dad reached crisis point and to cut a long story short, he broke his shoulder and is now being cared for in a residential home. This all happened early last year which is why I haven't been around. Honestly, it's been one thing after another!!! My hormonally fuzzy head didn't help but somehow we got through it, and I'm nearly at the end of selling his house now (completion date soon, fingers crossed) so that'll free me up a bit more. I hope!

Anyway, it feels good to pop in here again, and I'm going to have a look around the threads and catch up a little bit. Very best wishes to everyone! I hope you're all having a good weekend x

Elizabethrose

Re: Just saying hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:21:19 PM »

Hi Grumpy2008

Welcome back to the forum. What a marvellous upbeat post, may I just say, you don't sound grumpy at all!

My goodness, you've had a real roller coaster ride but I'm so pleased to hear things have gone well and that you're feeling better despite the pesky meno symptoms. Posts like this are so uplifting for other women struggling with similar problems. Well done you!

Hopefully meno won't be too bad for you and I wish you well.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »

:foryou:  How do you find the Tamoxifen, it nearly killed me.  It was supposed to suppress oestrogen but I felt really ill within 24 hours and after 3 months I stopped.  As I hadn't felt ill before surgery or during treatment I decided not to take it.

Have risks associated with this particular treatment been discussed with you?  Don't want to pour oil on boiling water, but.

Are you able to visit your Dad? 

grumpy2008

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:20:58 AM »

Thanks everyone! I was planning to reply yesterday but didn't get chance, so here I am in the small hours, feeling restless and unable to sleep  ::). I'm happy that my post came across as upbeat... despite everything I am doing ok, but can't deny it's been difficult. Cancer has given me a different perspective, so although I would never underplay peri-meno and meno symptoms, I do view it all slightly differently these days.

CLKD, I think I'll start another thread about the tamoxifen, and the effect it's having. Needless to say it's one of the reasons I'm awake at silly-o'clock and typing this message!

As for my dad, yes, I can visit. Thanks for asking :). His care home is about 50 minutes away and I make it over there at least once a week, as well as checking his old house. I do all his paperwork now, take care of all the finances, doctors appointments etc etc. Basically, I run his life. He has dementia and doesn't really understand the situation, thinks he's still in his 50s and one day will be able to drive again! It's sad but I've come to terms with it. In a funny way, I think I've been able to deal with it better because of my health experiences over the past ten years or so, which increased my resolve when it came to the crunch.

Well, I'm still wide awake so I'm going to read a few of the other threads...

Dyan

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:02:51 AM »

Welcome back grumpy2008!!!
You have been through so much but pleased to hear you came through.X

Evelyn63

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:31:19 AM »

I'm new to forum so haven't " met you " Grumpy, but what a lovely thing to do, coming back and updating everyone in such a positive way.  I'm glad you have got your dad settled.  He's safe and being cared for, and hopefully now you can look after yourself.  Take care.

Janice68

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »

Just wanted to say hi! and glad you have recovered from breast cancer.
What a stressful time for you but also admire the way you kept yourself going through this!

Hope all goes well with your dad now. Hopefully you have me time and relax time. Stress impacts on our bodys so much.

Take care Jan x

:bighug:

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:48:54 AM »

Hi Grumpy - lovely to hear from you  :foryou:

Taz x