Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oxytocin - does anyone use it?  (Read 3806 times)

2cats

Oxytocin - does anyone use it?
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:21:46 PM »

Hi

I have been reading about Oxytocin and its benefits for menopausal women.. Just wondered if anyone on here has ever used it?
I'm experiencing a long period of feeling very detached from my husband (since Dec) and want to blame hormones as opposed to anything else...

I thought about telling my doctor and asking her if it's available but decided to consult the ladies on MM first!

Thanks in advance,

Clovie

Re: Oxytocin - does anyone use it?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »

Heard of it (back to pregnancy and birth days) but never used it.

I didn't know it could be prescribed. Are you in the UK, 2cats?

Am interested though  :)

2cats

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 08:27:01 PM »

Yes I am in the UK, Clovie but I have no idea if it is available on prescription.  Let's see if anyone else comes along with any experiences of it... :)

Sarai

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:51:43 AM »

I only remember it from pregnancy days, but don't think it was prescribed, I thought our bodies made it around birth time, but hey its 20 years since my last one so maybe I have forgotten.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »

How about sex? This produces oxytocin naturally! I can't imagine how/why anyone would try to prescribe/take it?

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »

2cats

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »

Hurdity - your body produces lots of chemicals/hormones naturally - but as we all are aware on MM, many hormones and chemicals needed for proper functioning of the mind and body, tend to fluctuate in their levels during the peri and menopause.  Hence why some choose to take pills or wear patches, in order to restore balance.

Sooby

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »

I inject the sheep with it on occasion after a difficult assisted lambing. But thats not what you meant is it Hun?  ;)

On a more serious note and please dont feel you have to answer this question on this forum....but could there be another reason for your feelings....?

It can be very lonely place menopause and we can often feel that this new version of us is not being accepted, understood and loved at a time when we need it most. It can be hard to love ourselves during this period of emotional instability and the fact that we dont really recognise ourselves can make is unhappy and withdrawn. If that in turn unsettles those around us and makes them react to us then a chasm can start to form.

Your post makes me think that you are hoping this distance is a meno issue as this may be easier to face ( and fix?) than the possible alternative. But it takes two to tango so is this a mutual sense of distance.........?

At the risk of asking an obvious question......have you talked to him about it...?

Milamam

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »

I've only once been injected Oxytocin when my first baby was a few days old and my breasts were so sore yet the milk wouldn't come out. I was close to inflamation,  thank god my gynae put me one injection of Oxytocin and by the time I got home, the milk was flowing. I also know Oxytocin is injected sometimes to facilitate labor and birth with women giving birth naturally. But I don't know much.

Milamam