Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1331 times)

Kazzyb29

« on: March 10, 2016, 02:07:06 PM »

Hi I'm a new member of this forum and looking for help. I was on hrt for 13 years after a full hysterectomy at 43, I was told by my doctors to stop taking it because of the health risks, since stopping my menopause symptons are getting hard too live with. I'm taking black cohosh but it's not helping much. I feel like crap sorry!! Any help would be great.

Joyce

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »

:welcomemm:

Are health risks specific to you? I'm back on Estradot patches at nearly 60 as flushes & sweats were hard to live with. My GP said the benefits for me out weighed the risks. I hope to remain on it for as long as I can.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »

Kazzyb29 - I'd ask for a referral to a meno clinic or gynae to get advice.  I'm afraid your GP is quite wrong - unless you have developed health issues e.g. breast cancer, that prevent you using oestrogen then there should be no reason why you shouldn't continue with HRt for the rest of your life.  I believe research has actually shown that those women who have had a hyster are less likely to develop breast cancer if they have HRT!!!!!

If you are still in your 50s then you really should stay on oestrogen because of the benefits in the longer term.
GPs are really not up to speed on things!!    :bang:

Do read up everything on this site to get clued up.  Dg xxx

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 05:46:14 PM »

Hi Kazzyb29

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - you should not have been taken off permanently. Fair enough to do a trial to see how you are - but as soon as your symptoms have come back and stayed, the doc should allow you to re-start.

Look at the info here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

You will see that at your age the benefits outweigh the risks. So ditch the Cohosh - which shouldn't be taken long term anyway - and please go back to a different doc in your practice or ask to be referred as Dancingirl suggests.

Hurdity x :)

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »

Kazzyb29, I agree with the others, you should be taking HRT unless you have an underlying health reason which prevents you from doing so.  Your doctor is talking nonsense and is giving you poor advice.  Your doctor should know that if you are deprived of oestrogen, you are leaving yourself wide open to a whole host of other health issues in later life.  I despair.

If you have had a hysterectomy, you only need oestrogen which is a cake walk compared to women who have to ruin their regime with progesterone and it is the progesterone part of HRT that carries all the health risks (albeit very small risks) not the oestrogen part and your doctor should know this. 

You sound like an ideal candidate for Oestrogel and I would urge you to get hold of some asap.  It is fantastic stuff and works extremely well and I have found it far more effective than patches or oral HRT.  It is bio identical, flexible (you can easily adjust the dose to suit your needs) and virtually risk free. 

I hope that helps.