Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: norethisterone- advice please!  (Read 3040 times)

lizzog

norethisterone- advice please!
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »

Hi. I've been managing for the last few years reasonably we'll on Evorel 50 patches and a mirena coil. I had the mirena removed a few weeks ago, and they couldn't manage to insert another one. I have since had the worst bleeding and clots I've ever had, and my GP gave me norethisterone to take 5mg x 3 a day. The bleeding has now stopped thank goodness, and I'm waiting for a gynae appointment to have a polyp removed that has been discovered, and hopefully a mirena put in at the same time  ::)
I've taken the norethisterone for four days now, and it is making me feel hungry and a bit headachey and 'off'. I'm frightened of stopping it now in case the bleed comes back again, it made me feel so bad!
Has anyone experimented with reducing the dose of norethisterone, and if so, how did it work for you?

lisa789

Re: norethisterone- advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 12:14:20 PM »

I was recently prescribed norethisterone 5mg twice a day on days 17-28. It made me very ill, I felt so sick I couldn't eat. I emailed Dr Currie and she said this was a high dose and I see you're on 15mg per day. I've got a different progesterone to try for this month - Utrogestan and its a bio identical hormone so supposed to be kinder side effect wise. You could ask your GP about this or ask if a lower dose of norethisterone would be OK

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:44:09 PM »

Thanks - yes I have felt a little sick on it but anything is preferable to the way I felt after bleeding so much last week.
I am waiting for a call back from my Doctor to see if I could maybe reduce the dose.  I can cope with spotting or a light bleed, but not heavy clots etc.,
Also it is making me starving and I'm trying to lose weight - I've lost half a stone on WeightWatchers, and don't want to put it back on as I've tried so hard!!!

lisa789

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

I couldn't eat anything when I was on it as it made me feel that sick. Hope the doctor gets you sorted x