Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New here  (Read 5486 times)

Lynda59

New here
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »

Hi
 Just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted on here. X.  Thank you.  Thank you  Thank you.
I'm 56 been bleeding for 12 days heavy and crying for no reason. went to doc who says menopause. This place is so helpful for others like me who have no one to turn to for advice.

Dancinggirl

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »

Hi and welcome Golden star - do browse around this site and get clued up.  Keep posting  Dg x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »

Hello Golden star.

This forum has been a life saver for me and continues to be a huge help. There is alway someone here to offer comfort and advice so you need never feel alone on your journey.

The care and wishing you well.

K.

Lynda59

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 03:08:16 AM »

Thank you.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 06:21:18 PM »

Hello Golden star :welcomemm: from me too!

Do you have any other symptoms and how close to the menopause do you think you are eg how have your periods been over the last 12 months or so? Hopefully not too much longer at 56 - must be frustrating.

Glad you have already found benefit from the members of the forum :)

Hurdity x

Lynda59

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »

Thank you all for your welcomes.
To Hurdity   regular.  Light  until Feb when it changed and lasted longer with a few days off before starting again then in March two weeks very heavy  so doc did bloods and I'm told I have under active thyroid. Just picked up prescription for tablets and iron but have read up on thyroid and I don't have symptoms. I don't feel cold   I don't sleep well but am always kicking covers off and I don't feel tired through the day I still wear same size clothes my skin isn't dry. I do forget things though.
I have no trust in  any  of our doctors here .
What did surprise me was I had bloods done Thursday and was told to call in a week as they send them away and yet prescription had been signed and dated Friday and they called me Monday morning to say I had to take Iron and then same person called afternoon to say I had to collect tablets for thyroid.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »

Hello again Golden star.

At my surgery the Receptionist can print off a copy of blood test results which includes information on normal ranges so it is easy to see if there is a problem. It usually takes a week for all the results to arrive so you may want to wait a while and look at the results yourself before deciding on treatment. Hope this helps.

Wishing you well and let us know how you get on.

K.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »

Golden Star - I do think your surgery have been negligent in their treatment.  To simply give you prescriptions without properly going through with you what and why they are prescribing these medications is simply wrong.
Before you take anything, I would make an appointment so they can explain everything properly and give you an opportunity to ask questions. I would write down questions in advance so you don't forget.
Do keep us posted.  Dg x

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »

Golden Star, welcome to MM!

So you had a blood test and the doctor thinks you have an underactive thyroid and has given you a prescription but you haven't had the results yet, is that correct?

Depending on just how underactive your thyroid is, this can be caused by low oestrogen and what worries me is that you will be given thyroid medication when you really need HRT.  I can tell you that although I do not have a thyroid problem, my thyroid does function much better when I am taking HRT.

This is something you might want to run past your doctor. 

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 02:19:58 PM »

Mary G - I'm not sure about your statement "Depending on just how underactive your thyroid is, this can be caused by low oestrogen". There is some overlap between symptoms, and also those on oral HRT and thyroid hormones but otherwise  :-\. Please explain further an ideally point me to a scientific paper!

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 07:18:58 PM »

Hurdity, I'm going by my own experience and that of my sister who has an underactive thyroid and is on medication.

I don't have an underactive thyroid but my own thyroid function improves with a higher levels of oestrogen.  My sister has an underactive thyroid and was told that (certainly in her particular case) there is a link between low oestrogen and her problem. 

A gynaecologist (not the one I see now) always tested menopausal women for thyroid problems because she said thyroid function often goes wrong when women reach the menopause. 

Hence the low oestrogen connection.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »

:welcomemm:

Lizab

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 08:17:56 PM »

Mary G, that's partially correct and partially misunderstood. Women do often develop thyroid problems about the time of menopause or even pregnancy or childbirth, so surely there is a relation. However, estrogen tends to reduce circulating thyroid levels, so after menopause, many women in treatment for hypothyroid will need their thyroid dosage reduced, and conversely, women who begin taking estrogen replacement may need a higher dose of thyroid hormone. My doctors have all maintained that getting the thyroid in balance is first order of business, before tinkering with the other hormones. Either way, your bottom line that having the thyroid checked and treated if necessary is a good idea when meno symptoms strike. The symptoms can overlap.

Mary G

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »

Lisab, yes, there does seem to be a link between low oestrogen and thyroid failure. 

My point was this, if Golden star is a borderline case, it might be worth running the low oestrogen theory past her doctor.

My thyroid function blood levels were getting quite near to the upper limit when I was either not taking HRT at all or had low levels of oestrogen and having had so many blood tests over the years, it cannot be a coincidence that my thyroid function quite drastically improves when I am on higher levels of oestrogen - same goes for cholesterol and bilirubin and the blood tests prove it.

I feel it is my duty to inform others of my own experiences and they can either use them or dismiss them.  I would worry that in my case, a trigger happy doctor might have prescribed thyroid medication for me when all I needed was more oestrogen.

I was merely suggesting that it might be worth Golden star running this past her doctor.  What has she got to lose by asking?

Golden star, do you know the results of your blood tests yet and what were your thyroid levels?

Lynda59

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »

I had blood test done on a Thursday was told call in week unless they call you. Monday morning phone call  you have prescription for iron as you're anemic. Went to get prescription was dated and signed on the Friday by a different doctor so that was only next day. Won't take them coz of side effects  so been looking for alternative.  Got a phone call later that Monday stating I have prescription waiting  said I already had been for it told no you have  underactive thyroid so prescription here. Went to get it dated that day signed by doctor I had seen. I asked for copy of results to be told by snooty receptionist is it for consultant I said no for me and was told she would have to talk to a doctor.  Surgery closed for holiday. I looked up symptoms of thyroid and OK I feel cold sometimes have put on a few pounds but still wearing same size yes I get tired and I have aches don't we all lol. I put that down to weather  eating chocolate  not sleeping all night and age.
Apart from that I feel fine and doctor said I looked healthy.

Always been regular but in Feb was on off most of month.  March lasted two weeks very heavy   lots of clots  then two weeks off,    had time off work thats why had to see doctor.   just started again. Well I'm keeping my fingers crossed it won't be heavy.
Pages: [1] 2