Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Confused Newbie -HRT vs Natural  (Read 2455 times)

Sharry

Confused Newbie -HRT vs Natural
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »

Hi Ladies,
I'm new to this so sorry if I ramble on.
I've always had menstral problems.Had a Novasure procedure 2yrs ago (didn't work)& Total Abdominal Hysterectomy & Bilateral Oopherectomy 4wks ago.
I have now been thrown into post menopause with full blown hot sweats etc
I'm only 42 & the Dr recommended I go onto HRT  ::) but I would prefer to try a natural method first as I also have an under active thyroid(18yrs)
Please could anyone help make sense of what I can try & who can help me ensure natural menopause remedies don't affect my thyroid  :(
Xxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Confused Newbie -HRT vs Natural
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:43:50 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Sharry
You just need some reassurance - you will only be needing oestrogen I expect and you'll be pleased to hear that most oestrogens in HRT are now actually bio identical/natural. I would recommend either Oestrogel or patches, as using oestrogen transdermally is best. The Oestrogel allows you to adjust the dose to what you need (so you can use from one to 4 pumps per day) which can be  great but you do need to apply it daily - whereas some women prefer patches which only have to changed twice a week.
If you have thyroid issues, then often there needs to be some adjustments when HRT is added into the mix - so some monitoring may be necessary but  I believe HRT should actually help the thyroid. 
You are young and some oestrogen will protect your bones and heart for the long term, help prevent vaginal atrophy, bladder problems and reduce those nasty flushes and night sweats so there are many plusses.
Prescribed oestrogen is the best natural way to help you at this stage.
I'd try some Oestrogel if I were you - I had an early menopause (started when I was in my mid 30s) and the gel worked great for me.   DG x
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:29:14 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »

:welcomemm:

It depends on what you mean by 'natural'?  Some things that are 'natural' are not always good for us  ;)

Keep notes and let us know how you get on!  There's usually someone around to chat with .

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »

Sharry, welcome to MM!

42 is far to young to be oestrogen deficient and I would urge you to start taking HRT as soon as possible.  As DG said, bio identical Oestrogel is the best form of HRT (and virtually risk free) to use and because you have had a hysterectomy, you will not need the dreaded progesterone which is the problematic part of HRT.   

The gel is fantastic and I would go as far as to say life changing.  I use 2 pumps every day and it is the best form of HRT I have used by a very long way. 

You may be interested to know that although I do not have an underactive thyroid, blood tests have revealed that my thyroid readings are far better when taking oestrogen - my cholesterol is much lower too. 

There is no need to suffer menopause symptoms, you have a choice and don't forget, those symptoms can drag on for years making your life a misery.  Oestrogen is like a control centre for so many vital functions and oestrogen deprivation can cause all sorts of health problems in later life. 

Hope that helps.