Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shoe sizes  (Read 13333 times)

Joyce

Shoe sizes
« on: March 08, 2016, 06:11:12 PM »

I have several pairs of shoes, mainly size 5. Real size is 4.5, but many places only do full sizes. However, when trying on new size 5's they're like boats. Old 5's are still worn regularly without them falling off. I can accept that my feet may be shrinking, however, why is there such a difference in shoe sizes. Are manufacturers making shoes bigger?

Taz2

Re: Shoe sizes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:15 PM »

I've got the opposite problem CG - I'm finding that shoe sizes appear to be smaller although the ones I've tried on lately are not expensive shoes so maybe that's the difference?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »

I have worn size 4 until 6 months ago: now I need a 5  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 07:06:59 PM »

Same here CLKD!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »

I was told that feet 'flatten' as people age.  I hadn't thought that as with dress sizes, we are now being conned with shoe sizes  ;D - even slippers are narrower and more un-comfortable  >:(

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:47:02 PM »

Hello cubagirl.

I now consider all clothing sizes as a guide only, goodness knows what the manufacturers are playing at.

Apparently as we age and our collagen weakens our feet become wider, not sure about longer but I now find square toed flats oddly appealing!

Take care.

K.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:56:13 PM »

I agree about clothes, I have a variety of sizes in my wardrobe. My feet have shrunk length wise, width not increased too much, but then I had narrowish feet anyway. I've just ordered pair of 4.5 flats, will see how that goes.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 10:07:56 PM »

My shoe size is 7 1/2 AAs. There are very few shops that stock narrows shoes, so I have to buy on line at great expense. As narrow shoes are not manufactured in this country, they have to be shipped in. Added to that my feet are very shallow, so my choice is limited.at least I'm not limited to boring brown lace ups as I was as a child. Heels are out of the question as my feet slip forwards. I am ordering average feet next time round!  ::)

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 10:56:00 PM »

I have always had problems with shoe sizes as some are so inaccurate  and i have big feet so can't just but a bigger size. Managed to get a pair today though. Am usually an 8 or 7.5 wide fit.

Kate50

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 05:51:49 AM »

Hi Sparkle
Just noticed in your thread you have neuromaseen in both feet. I'm just having my left checked for these as been having foot pain for a long time. No matter what insoles are made to fit unless they are Super comfy my foot hurts.  Have one pavers summer sandal that I can wear which is heaven but that's about it!  And to make matters worse I dog walk every day.  How did you have your diagnosed?
Thanks

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 08:56:16 AM »

I'm a 5, but always had trouble finding shoes to fit as my feet are very wide with a high instep and dodgy ankle joints (so any sole that slops inward toward the base, even if the shoe is flat, is out)

It got a lot worse when I started gardening for a living - being constantly in wellies or safety boots made my feet spread even further.  I now live in pull-on boots in winter and flip-flops in summer as they are the only things I can find to fit.  If I am invited anywhere that requires smarter footwear - forget it!

I do think cheap shoes are cut less generously though.  I have never been able to find anything to fit in cheaper ranges.  I've found Pavers is a good place to look as they usually have a good range of wide-fitting and/or flat shoes and boots.  I hate anything with a heel! 

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »

I would love to be able to wear wellies, but they are boats on my feet. At least my feet are ok. And I do have ( very expensive) leather boots that fit my skinny legs and feet. I've have them for years and take great care of them. I do own a pair of red shoes, which I dreamed of as a child. I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without pain, but.......... ::)

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

I do own a pair of red shoes, which I dreamed of as a child. I can't wear them for more than 10 minutes without pain, but.......... ::)

I only recently ditched my gorgeous red shoes. They had been lying in cupboard for many years. Courts with small peep toe. Last time I tried them on they were so painful! Ah well.

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

If there was one thing I'd change about my appearance, it'd be my shoe size.  I'm 5'2" and take a size 6, but I'd have loved to have been a 5.   One thing's certain - I'd have failed miserably on the marriage stakes in ancient China!    Still, I mustn't complain.  It makes it easier to hit the right organ pedals!   ;D

Dulciana 

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »

When I was young, someone called my feet combine harvesters! Yes it upset me then.

I'm afraid thick socks doesn't work. People are surprised how narrow my feet actually are. I have just got hold of some AA ankle wellies in lime green, as I really need wellies when I stay with my son and it rains a lot. They were expensive and not what I really wanted.

I take comfort that I don't have AAA feet! Like many people 1 foot is 1/2 size longer than the other, which makes getting a good fit more difficult. Lace ups and Mary Jane shoes with low heels work best.

Shoes effect the style of clothes you wear. I wonder what kind of clothes I would choose if shoes were easier to find.
Pages: [1] 2 3