Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: should I try hrt?  (Read 1837 times)

Yammy1

should I try hrt?
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:06:16 PM »

hi I 'm 52 and had hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago (kept ovaries). been really struggling  with anxiety the past few months, went to doc last week and she prescribed citalopram, I really don't want to go down the road of ads so I haven't taken them yet. when I was in docs she took blood and phoned me on Friday to say my ovaries have stopped working and I am defineatly in menopause, Just looking for advise should I try hrt instead of ads

Dancinggirl

Re: should I try hrt?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 12:22:02 PM »

Yes,yes, yes, - a bitof oestrogen will work wonders for you and will do you nothing but good.  It will protect your bones and heart in the long term, improve sleep, help to prevent vaginal atrophy and bladder problems and if you don't have a uterus you only need oestrogen and you could take this for the rest of your life if you don't develop contraindicative issues.  Do Try either a patch or Oestrogel as the transdermal route of using hormones is the best way. I've always loved Oestrogel, which you apply to inner thighs once a day, as it enables you to adjust the dose to find the right amount that makes you feel good. My next door neighbour was in your position and I noticed she kept washing her sheets and complaining about feeling so hot and tired so I told her about this site and suggested she try some Oestrogel and within weeks she was  new women.
Go for it girl.  DG x

Yammy1

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »

thank you Dancinggirl for your reply, yes I think I will stay away from ads and try hrt, I think doctors are too quick to hand out anti depressants I will go back to her and ask for  hrt patches, fingers crossed the old me will return

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 01:26:43 PM »

It's always difficult to advise. As Dancinggirl says a bit of oestrogen can help but, then again, if you are like me then I become more anxious while on HRT. I used to blame it on the progesterone but since my hysterectomy I've been on oestrogen only and I still get anxiety attacks while taking it. I haven't really explored whether I am on the right amount though - laziness!

I think you should give it a go. If your only symptoms are anxiety then I can see why the doc would prescribe an anti depressant by the way. Are you having any hot flushes or any other meno symptom so that the doc is more likely to prescribe HRT?

Taz x

Yammy1

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »

Hi  yeah getting hot flushes and the usual aches and pains  that come with menopause, I really  feel my anxiety is hormonal and at the moment I'm trying to keep track when anxiety is worse to see if there is a pattern. I really really don't want to start ads as I tried one before and was ten times worse, chest pains really bad so doc took me off them, different doc this time but I'll hold out as long as I can

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 02:31:39 PM »

It seems as if HRT is the way forward for you Yammy. If the hot flushes etc are under control then you are less likely to feel anxious perhaps?

Taz x