Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 1498 times)

louie2

Help needed
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »

Hi all
I have come back to this site as I need some help and advice please

I have been on HRT for over 18 months, at first it was brilliant, the dreadful flushes subsided but sadly they came back after around 6 months, I use Evorell Conti 50mg the highest strength so my lovely doc added an extra 25mg patch which made no difference, I have also been using the " Lady magnet" to no avail! I switched to pills but within 5 days I was bloated to the point I couldn't even bend down and had an awful upset tum so I decided to switch back the patch, given the way I felt when I initially went on the patch I'm sure its doing something but the sweats are literally killing me, haven't had a decent sleep in months and feel low all the time! I would be grateful for any advice!!!!

Dancinggirl

Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:56:10 PM »

louie2 - If the HRT is not at least reducing the flushes then I think something else must be going on.  Have you had your thyroid function checked?
The only other alternative would be to try Oestrogel - which allows some control over dosage  - and then a separate progesterone like Provera or Utrogestan for 12 days each month.
Are you still peri? I found that too high a dose of oestrogen made me feel hot and jittery so sometimes going back to a lower dose can be better.  I would take a completely break from HRT for 4 weeks to see how you feel. If you then try the Oestrogel I would start on just one pump per day for the first 3-4 weeks and see if that amount works and then only increase to 2 pumps for the next 3-4 weeks till you find the amount that keeps things good.  DG x

louie2

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:38 PM »

Hi DG
Thanks for the advice, is it safe to stop and go cold turkey? sorry if this sounds dumb but I have forgotten what Peri means, is it post menopausal? If so I have been going through this for over 2 years now!  :'( I have regular bloods done and the thyroid always seems to be ok, I cant remember a life without sweats, actually I cant remember having a life if I'm honest! My days are spent trying to get through and do normal things like getting dressed and going to work, cooking dinner etc... I'm sure there are many others doing it tough so it's good to talk to like minded caring people. I'm scared of trying something different for fear of feeling worse! x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

Hi louie2

You are post-menopausal if you have gone 12 months without a natural period - and this is before starting HRT. Peri-menopause is the time leading up to menopause when cycles become irregular and lasting until 12 months after the last period when menopause is confirmed.

Therefore if you hadn't had a period for 12 months at least before starting the Evorel conti then you were post-menopausal which is why your doc started you on the Evorel conti straight away.

Two things occur to me - firstly oestrogen levels continue to fall for approx two years following menopause until they reach a low level ( although there are still changes occurring after this point) and some women experience a worsening of symptoms at this stage. Also some women find they get continuous side effects from the continuous progestogens from continuous combined HRT - and there is a thread running at the moment about progesterone and nights sweats.

Your alternative might be to go back to a cycle and have a regular withdrawal bleed - which would mean you have some time on oestrogen alone and then take progestogen for 12 days - then have a bleed. If you are happy with patches you could either try Evorel sequi (which has the same progestogen as Evorel conti), or Femseven sequi or as Dancinggirl suggests use Utrogestan for 12 days per month (or even try a slightly longer cycle if you are on a 50 mcg patch).

How old are you by the way?

Hurdity x