Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: The Future for HRT  (Read 3662 times)

Tangerinedreams

The Future for HRT
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »

Hi ladies this is a query really if anyone of you knowledgeable ladies know what might be in the pipeline for HRT?  Do you think there will be any new developments in the next 5 years or so?  I am 47 and planning on staying on HRT well into my 50s or 60s.  So hopefully in 10 years time there will be some new improved medications.

Why does it take so long for Dr's to get up to speed on this all important area of medication.  I think Oestrogel and Utrogestan has been around for about 20 years, but only been more regularly used in the last few years.  In fact my Dr had never heard of it and had no idea at what doses and regime to prescribe to me, had to look all this up in her little book.

I remember a Dr's appointment about 3 years ago where I was having peri symptoms but wasn't offered anything by my GP at the time.  I knew nothing about HRT but was qurious and asked her what options will be available to me when I might need it.  I said my Mum took HRT 20 years ago and was on Tibilone.  Is there anything new and better for us today?  Have things improved?  Her answer was "sadly no it's all the same treatments I'm afraid".  How annoying she should have been saying yes there are!!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:59:01 AM by Tangerinedreams »

Kate50

Re: The Future for HRT
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »

I think putting women on HRT will become a financial necessity in the future as the cost of treating ailments of old age is getting bigger due to people living longer.  So why not be healthy if your gonna live longer.

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:28:37 PM »

I wonder if our American friends know anything as they are often ahead of us in terms of medicines.  I too am curious.  Wonder if they will have something that follows the more  natural rhythm of our bodies and gives us other hormones too in tiny amounts.

Trufflecat

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »

It would surely be more cost effective too. I have had an ECG and several appointments for palpitations, quite severe ones, that I now realise were perimenopausal. Plus antidepressants and migraine investigations for hormone related conditions.

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 01:51:20 PM »

It would surely be more cost effective too. I have had an ECG and several appointments for palpitations, quite severe ones, that I now realise were perimenopausal. Plus antidepressants and migraine investigations for hormone related conditions.

I am a diabetic ( tyoe 2) and was sent on education course and I have access to clinic at surgery for blood tests etc as needed - I can't help but think something similar would be beneficial for women at this time of their lives as I've never been away from doctors this last two years with various ailments that a bit of joined up thinking and attention might have solved sooner. My Gp has prescribed betablockers for palpitations ( I've had 14 ECGs in last two years!) , thrust ADs on me at every turn, I've antihistamines for my hives and so on. Now it may be that I'd still need all these things even if on HRT but it has taken 4 Gps to eventually get agreement that HRT might even be an option. I'd hope that more research was taking place, but as it only affects half the population, I'm guessing more will be thrown at the likes of statins.

dogdoc

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 03:08:17 PM »

There are some phase 3 trials going on in canada right now for vaginal DHEA ( I think they're calling it vaginorm, but also called prasterone). DHEA is a precursor for both testosterone and estrogen, and there's mounting evidence that vaginally it will only cause local effects including increased lubrication, sensitivity, improved ability to orgasm and improved drive.

I'm waiting to see when this will come out.
tara

peri

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »

That's good to know Dobson, keep us all posted please