Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Probably simple question...  (Read 1839 times)

Clovie

Probably simple question...
« on: March 03, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »

Hi
Asking this for a friend - (and I couldn't give her an answer  :-\ I'm afraid!)

She wants to know, if you're on HRT sequentially and in peri, and having a withdrawal bleed at end of every prog phase, how do you know when you're postmenopausal?  :o

Do you stop having a 'proper' bleed?
Does your bleed become slighter for example, as you only have the HRT oestrogen building up your lining, and not extra oestrogen from your own fluctuating cycle?

That's the question.

My friend is a few years older than me (55 I think?) and is still having the odd cycle she says, she's not on HRT, and was against it totally until I'd shown her this site. She thought she'd got away with it as she's not having nasty symptoms of peri - but now only recently been starting to get hot flushes, so is at least now considering HRT.

I can't answer this question, wondered if someone else could...
Thanks  :)

Galadriel

Re: Probably simple question...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »

Hi Clovie,
The short answer is 'you don't'. The only way to know when you are on sequential hrt is to stop it a see if periods return.

For those ladies already on hrt, they could change to a period-free formulation from around the age of 54... it may take time for the bleeding pattern to settle and the body adjusts to the new hrt. If it doesn't settle within 6 months then the chances are their natural cycles are still kicking around.

Most ladies, but not all (as your friend demonstrates) have finished having periods at 54.

Hope this helps  :)

Galadriel x

Clovie

Re: Probably simple question...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »

Thanks Galadriel, I'll break the news to her.  :great: And I've learned something myself here.