Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Is this enough to cause breakthrough bleed  (Read 3484 times)

Chi chi

Is this enough to cause breakthrough bleed
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:30:25 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I was running low on my Sandrena, I'd decided I wanted to go back on to Oestrogel (prefer the pump application over fiddly little sachets ) I contacted Prof Studds office to arrange a repeat prescription, long story short but he was out of the country so had a bit of trouble getting it. I had to spread out the Sandrena so I wouldn't be without any for a couple of days. So for 2 days I had to drop from 3 to 2 sachets but Luckily my Oestrogel turned up earlier than expected.  I started Oestrogel (4 pumps) which is equivalent to 3 sachets and 2 days later I started spotting which has got worse since, at times it's been quite heavy, bright red with a few clots then other days just brown/ light spots :-\ this has been going on for nearly 2 weeks now. Could the drop from 3 to 2 sachets just for 2 days have caused this and why is it lingering on even though I'm back to the 3 sachets/4 pumps?

Dancinggirl

Re: Is this enough to cause breakthrough bleed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

Hi Chi Chi - am I right in thinking you are doing a longer cycle? I'm afraid this type of breakthrough bleeding is common when using a long cycle, especially if you are only using 100mg of Utro for 7 days  ( Studds standard regime). Erratic bleeding is usually a sign that the womb lining has built up too much (often due insufficient progesterone to ensure a proper shedding of the lining) and then this thickened lining will start to come away and cause erratic and problematic bleeding. The change of gel may not have any baring on this but if after the next round of Utro you continue to get erratic bleeding then you will need to see Studd so he can do a scan. 
Dg x

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »

Thanks Dancinggirl, yes it's been a few months since having any prog, I'm due to have the Mirena fitted beginning of April though I'm not looking forward to having it again  :-\

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »

Chi Chi -  I expect your womb lining is really thick if you haven't had a good dose of progesterone for a while. Don't expect the worst - once things settle, after the mirena has been fitted, then it really can be the simplest option. In the mean time, if you can, I'd do a 12 day course of progesterone to really help shed your lining. Dg x

Chi chi

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:49:35 PM »

I really don't want to as I react badly to it  :-\
I had the Mirena a few yrs ago and was fine (emotionally) just almost constant spotting  ::)
How long can I expect this bleed to go on for?? Nearly been 2 weeks now  ???

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:07:58 PM »

Chi chi, don't worry, that is exactly what happened to me when I tried to go for the long cycle, it is quite a normal response.

I am a patient of Professor Studd too and like you, I am severely intolerant to all types of synthetic progesterone and have to limit my use of Utrogestan.  I use 2 pumps of Oestrogel everyday and can only go about 5-6 weeks before I shed naturally (aka breakthrough bleeding) but it is just like a very long period that lasts continuously for about 2 weeks and then it stops completely and I get no bleeding at all - it is not random or sparodic, it is one long period.

In order to avoid this happening again, I now suffer a few days of Utrogestan which, luckily, I don't need much of to get womb clearance (been proven by a scan) and that has done the trick.  It is the same volume of blood loss but it all comes out over a period of about 4 days as opposed to the dreadful 2 weeks. 

Long cycle is completely out of the question for me because I shed naturally once my lining gets to a certain point and I don't want uncontrolled bleeding. 

If you are worried about the Mirena, is it worth having one last try to the Utrogestan?  Try using 100mg for a few days vaginally and see how you feel and what sort of bleed you have.  I have found that if I use it in small doses, it still works and I can tolerate it.