Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Late menopause...........  (Read 12166 times)

elainewin

Late menopause...........
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:24:30 PM »

Hi i just wondered i any one else on here has had a late menopause. I am 55yrs old, my periods for last year have been every 2 to 3 mths...just had one over a week ago and quite heavy first 2 days lasted 5 days , what are the pro,s and con,s of late menopause.
Tbh i know that my hormones are always up and down from the way i feel and i have had some difficult times ,so i hav,nt seen much pro,s  in peri menopause , and feel things can only get better when i reach menopause . any information would be great x

Sarai

Re: Late menopause...........
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »

I consider I am going to be late meno. I am 54, just annoyingly had a period after a 31 week gap. Had night sweats last year, they then stopped for those 31 weeks. Still have mood swings like crazy. But I'm quite peeved to realise I will be at LEAST 55 before being post meno, if I'm lucky. Then obviously it won't all be over then either.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 09:00:15 PM by Sarai »

blossom60

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »

I think a lot more women are having a late memo, as myself and my sister did.  Don't worry though the last period often signals a settling of symptoms, especially if you have had a long and bothersome peri.

Fingers crossed. :)

elainewin

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »

Im 56 this year and if i go another year from now im gonna be coming up for 57 yr old....I just wish they would go away then i know i will be on the road to recovery . I wish late menopause meant no symptoms but i can assure everyone its been a long rocky road of mood swings . night sweats ,insomnia, aching bones its just good to hear of  every one elses experiences, because i am so late into this compared to my friends i feel alone as it been years for my friends and they dont seem to remember much apart from one day there periods stopped .

Machair

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 02:22:39 PM »

I am 56 this month and still very much perimenopausal. Having lighter periods yes- but still very much in the throws of it all. You are not alone!

Does anyone else still have more than usual amounts of fertile looking mucus at odd times or just more in general? I wonder if this may be something ladies having a late meno experience- I certainly do and attribute it to higher levels of oestrogen.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 02:51:02 PM by Machair »

elainewin

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:58:36 PM »

Hi Machair yes i have clear mucus seems like it is mid cycle,perhaps this is something to do with late menopause, as i have never suffered from dryness . just very strange why some people have late menopause and some have early menopause, but either way is not without its problems, In my case i just want it now to move on to full menopause as it seems i have been in perimenopause at least 10yrs ,symptoms getting worse as the years have gone on .

Machair

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 09:56:32 PM »

Yes rollercoaster sums it up! Are you almost 56 like me Elainewin and is your mucus at random or just mid cycle? I don't have night sweats or hot flushes at all at the moment so who knows what is going on. My periods are much lighter now - more like brown spotting so hopefully the end is coming. Mind you maybe I should just enjoy now as perhaps post meno will be worse!

elainewin

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »

Im not 56 till november and i guess the mucus is fairly random as i dont always have  a period every month, and my periods when i have one are always heavy the first 2 days , I have had night sweats off and on, again my symptoms are random, just like my menstrual cycle ,i did try hrt for 2 mths but it made me really ill on the second month its prob my hormones are still so up and down.   seems the norm for me is a period every 2 mths,....just had one just over a week ago so i guess the year countdown is on again ,good to hear from someone my age group going through much the same thing.

E x

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »

Im managing to worry again about my period. I had a lovely 31 week gap, then the period from hell for 2 days, then normal tailing off, now around th the 2 week later mark I have what seems like a light period of old blood, scared stiff its serious (cant help this anxiety thing). Never had this before.

Machair

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 10:49:34 AM »

Sarai I have had what you describe before as well and yes it freaked me out. Normal not sure - common yes! I went many months and then started again, and if you are prone to mid cycle bleeding, as I am, you will never know what is going on, as mid cycle loses meaning when cycles are irregular, except of course if you bleed 2 -3 weeks afterwards which you may do next.

How old are you Sarai and what was your period pattern like before your long gap?

Blossom60 how old were you when you had your final period- have you any details of how you ended that might help us to know what to expect?

I don't think late meno is as rare as we feel it is, as I have spoken to so many ladies online with this situation. I had long cycles- maybe 35 days all through life, so perhaps this is relevant, as my friends who had short cycles of 3 weeks finished in their mid forties.

blossom60

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »

Hi Machair,

I had my last period at 56.  My periods got gradually lighter and more irregular.  Towards the end I only really needed panty liners.  The worst thing was that the last couple of years I would feel quite ill during my periods so it was a great relief when they stopped.

Since then my general health and wellbeing has improved, with the odd blip.  So hang on in there, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Sarai

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »

Machair I'm 54. Last 2 years I had some gaps of around 3 months then went to monthy again, with odd dots in between. 31 weeks is my longest gap. When I was younger I could go 35 days, then in peri it altered again to more regular and very heavy and more painful too.
When you wrote 'normal not sure' my heart skipped a beat, immediate panic hit me. God I hate this so much and find it all so scary. Those 31 weeks were great.
I cant decide if the this old blood this is, literally that getting washed away by mid month discharge.

Machair

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »

Sarai I don't want to scare you- if I have I am really really sorry. What I meant was that these things are so common in peri- of course it could be something sinister but the odds are not likely for that. The main thing is to keep records, and then you can share them with your GP if you are worried. Only they can rule out anything abnormal- no one on here can do that for you, it would be wrong to do so, but we can just share experiences together which helps to make sense of things and helps to remain calm. That's the way I see it anyway and I am the Queen of worrying! I have had mid cycle spotting for years and years, in fact I can remember thinking I was going to die from it as a teenager!

I agree about the gap bring it on!

Thank you blossom60 for your reply -mine are like that now- panty liner needed only for the most part- were your last few just brown spotting?

blossom60

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »

Yes, pretty much.  Some red but mostly brown, particularly the last one which was very light and brown.

Machair

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »

Thank you blossom60 - did they last for less days as well?
Pages: [1] 2 3