Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: neck pain  (Read 24288 times)

Megamind

Re: neck pain
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »

I often wake with a very stiff neck. Yesterday, I read something (can't remember where) about sleeping postions and there was a picture of a man and woman in bed. The man was laid correctly and the woman was laid with her head bent down. I have tried to google it but can't find it however, this one is similar and I sleep very much like the first picture on the left which is what is putting pressure on the neck.

http://www.propersleeps.com/2015/10/proper-sleeping-position-to-increase.html

So last night I made a conscious effort to correct that posture and when I awoke throughout the night like I normally do due to overheating, I corrected it again and I woke up this morning so much less stiff, it felt like a minor miracle and it makes such a difference to my day to not have the stiff neck feeling. I'm going to continue to try to correct my neck position as I nod off to sleep.

linz57

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 09:12:31 PM »

I currently have a trapped nerve caused by cervical disc problems and I've had to leave off my laptop completely. I have to watch my posture and have found that. putting a small, rolled up towel between my neck and the sofa really helps take the strain off.

linz57

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 07:35:56 PM »

Hi Megamind, yes try using the rolled up towel in various situations and see which suit you best. I find using it on the floor makes the rolled towel feel too solid for my neck so this why I prefer it when I'm sitting in a chair, on the sofa or even in the car. Just make sure it's not pushing your head forward or that could cause problems.
Yes, it does sound like disc and trapped nerve problems so maybe start with an X-ray and then maybe a ct or Mri scan to look at nerve impingement. When I'm home from my holidays at the end of this month I shall go back to see my gp and get the ball rolling and maybe enquire about steroid injections. I don't want a physio touching my neck until I know exactly what's going on as it could be detrimental. Having said that,  I did see one recently and I found the same as you.... Not very forthcoming and very disinterested. Happy to take my money though.
Could I ask you Megamind, which position lessened waking with a stiff neck? At the moment I can't sleep on my left side as I get pins and needles along with pain, can't sleep on my back as the moment pressure touches my shoulder blade I'm in pain and so I've been sleeping on my right side. How I'd love a good nights sleep in a comfortable position.....😢
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:46:18 PM by linz57 »

dahliagirl

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »

I think my varifocals may be contributing to the problem.  If they slip down the nose and my posture goes slumpy, I end up over compensating by tipping my head back and that affects a particular part of my neck.

It is about time I had some new ones.

If I sit bolt-upright at the computer, with my spectacles pushed to the top of my nose,  I can maintain my posture and look at the screen through the right bit of my lenses.

Megamind

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 09:23:52 AM »

Hi Linz,
I mostly sleep on my side and often curled up but with my neck down. I'm now trying to make sure my neck is up in this position rather than bent down and therefore aligned properly. I wake a lot during the night so correct myself again and it is making a difference.

linz57

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 11:41:16 AM »

That's interesting. I had read I should sleep on my back, but after trying it last night I then awoke to a very stiff back all over this morn. About an hour ago I bent to pick my shoe up and felt my lower back " go". So now I have not only the upper back pain but lower too.
Looks like I will be following your example Megamind and lying on my side again tonight.
Now I just need a winch and pulley to hoist me into position! 😄

linz57

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 01:06:20 PM »

It is difficult , especially when every little movement brings new pains and joint dysfunction. I'm off on my holidays on Monday but I can't get enthusiastic as I know I'm going to be hobbling around, having to sit regularly and will be unable to enjoy cocktails due to the amount of painkillers I'm throwing down my neck.
I keep reading about exercise helping but to be fair it just makes me worse, are you the same? Also, what do you take for the pain? I'm on 3x400mg Ibuprofen and co dydramol. Occasionally I will substitute the Ibuprofen pills for Voltarol 12 hour gel.

linz57

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »

It does sound to me like nerves keep getting trapped as your posture changes.
Last week when I saw my physio he said one of my cervical discs, think it was C2, was causing the referred pain in my shoulder blade and tingling in three fingers of my hand. Now today as my lower back has gone I can feel tingling in my toes.
Oh to have some spinal stability and not feel 100 years old!

linz57

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »

It must have done some damage, I know my mums discs were never the same after she had a nasty fall. It sounds as though yours is a combination of both the fall and posture. I really think the age we live in isn't helping our posture either. Too much hunching over screens is causing so many neck problems.

Dennylou48

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »

Hi everyone  I'm on week 5 with neck exercises and a cold compress 3 times a day and it so much better.im gonna keep going with it even when it's 100%. I still think it's menopause related as it's good days and bad days.

elainewin

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2016, 03:49:32 PM »

Hi every one i have been reading through all your comments,and it does seem, its a menopause / age thing .
Thank you for all the interesting reads,my neck at the moment is feeling ok ,fingers crossed .
Going to open a new thread on something else i get that is really weird,ear pain in the left ear when i am in bed it can wake me through the night .     thanks xx
Pages: 1 2 [3]