Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie signing in at 43  (Read 3208 times)

Townmouse

• First Flush
Newbie signing in at 43
« on: March 03, 2016, 12:14:00 PM »

Hello everyone, well after a few years of back and fro to the Dr, 9 months ago I was  eventually told I have begun an early menopause YAY!
To be fair I feel that apart from heavy and irregular periods I appear to be getting away with some of the lovely side affects that this amazing adventure brings us. Although it also explains some of how I have been feeling too.

After a few months of thinking what to do I have decided to start HRT because the pros at this age seem to outweigh the cons. So I am now on day 12 of Elleste Duet. Can't confirm any change in my moods, still as cranky as ever so hoping that by the time I get to the end of my 3 month trial I will see something there. However, I'm noticing a feeling or period type ache in my tummy which I only usually get on the first two days of my usual bleed so that's a surprise, oh and indigestion, is that normal? Could my degenerative discs in my lower back be because of hormone imbalance, so many thoughts!!??

Anyhow, I'd be grateful to hear from you ladies about your experience, especially if like me you have drifted into an early menopause. Sadly I no longer have my mum around to chat about these things and her experience and it's not really a discussion topic in the infant school playground on the school run. (My son is 6, now feeling even more blessed to have him!)

Suzi Q

Re: Newbie signing in at 43
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:27:46 PM »

Welcome
and I beat ya 37 and normal meno not surgical hehehehe :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
IM afraid I know nothing about HRT I didnt take it for medical reasons
But there are loads of lovely ladeis in here who will be only to happy to help x

Townmouse

• First Flush
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:37:11 PM »

thanks Suzi Q. I've had a nosey around some of the threads and it looks like there is some super support and advice around. Brilliant web site, I'm please my Dr referred me to it as would not have know of it.

Wow, 37. That must have been a bit of a surprise. It's funny how in hindsight the symptoms can be attributed to the 'change' . Such Fun!! 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Townmouse
Pleased to hear you are trying HRT - at your age HRT is important to protect your heart and bones in the long term.  If you already have problems in your spine then it is even more important you use some HRT to help reduce further degeneration.  Have you had a DEXA scan to look at the your bone density?
HRT can take time to settle - there will be some side effects and we sometimes have to try a few HRT options to find the one that suits us best. As you are still in peri meno your own hormones will be flucating in the background so this can bring some varying of symptoms - as you get deeper into meno and the HRT takes control, then symptoms should settle more.   You have been given the most popular HRT to try first which is often fine but if you find the progesterone part gives bad PMT type symptoms then do try Femoston 1/10 as it suits many women very well as it contains a kinder progesterone.
Do take the pills with food and possibly with breakfast to allow for better digestion. Keep posting  DG xx

Sooby

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »

Hello and welcome,

I tried the treatment that you are on and despite taking the pils mid afternoon to avoid feeling queasy but with out much luck. the pills gave me indigestion, nausea and acid reflux. I also suspected that the problems with my digestion affected my absorption so After taking the advice of the lovely ladies on this site I switched to patched after chatting through my symptoms with my GP and feel much better.

I didn't have the pains that you describe though I do know what you mean. I didn't have a bleed while taking the first pack at all and only had one once I had switched to the patches. I found the progesterone phase hard to deal with due to the heightened sense of anxiety and erratic heart beat but sounds like this wasn't a symptom for you. 

I found a free ebook on Amazon this week called Menopause Mondays which you might find useful if you are new to all this. x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »

Hi Townmouse

:welcomemm:

Hope you are feeling better. I agree with Sooby about the patches - some women find that tablet HRT upsets their digestion and this in turn can affect absorption so results of HRT treatment can be inconsistent.

Hurdity x :)

Townmouse

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:58 PM »

HI there, thanks for your kind words of welcome and advice.

The indigestion is still an aggravation, it's very similar to the side affects I had whilst on iron tablets for anaemia. Plus I  felt very nauseous at the weekend. In fact many of my odd symptoms are similar to that of my previous anaemia, perhaps it's time to check iron levels again too!? Whilst unpleasant I need to see how my trial on these goes.

If I have some months without a bleed or at least knowing when I may bleed would be a relief as the irregularity and inconvenience of my periods have interrupted my life in recent years. I'm just so relieved that I managed to speak with a Dr who has finally listened to me and is helping me when needed without dictating but discussing ways forward. I'm sure if this HRT isn't compatable then she will help, thankfully.

As for the bone density scan, that is something I have not previously considered as it's more disc trouble rather that skeletal but further degeneration will undoubtedly lead to skeletal issues.Would my MRI have noticed if there was some loss?