Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin D question  (Read 5799 times)

babyjane

Vitamin D question
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »

My bloods have shown I am deficient in Vitamin D. I already have a 1000iu (25mcg) spray but my endocrinologist has recommended I get a 3000iu (75mcg) spray.

The NHS website advises not to exceed 25mcg vitamin D in supplementation

If you take vitamin D supplements, do not take more than 25 micrograms (0.025mg) a day, as it could be harmful.

Does anyone know which advice I should follow, which is correct?

Ju Ju

Re: Vitamin D question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:10:25 AM »

Your endocrinologist's advice! The NHS advice would be for people who want to maintain levels, whereas you are deficient in levels.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 10:13:14 AM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:32:34 AM »

Of course, this could have been discussed at your appt.  yesterday  :bang: ……….

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »

:thankyou: sparky x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 08:42:04 PM »

I use a spray - it's the Better You DLux one recommended by my GP.

Taz x

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 09:27:39 PM »

Hi

I'm usually deficient even at the end of an Oz summer! Have they advised you should take Vit k with it as well as apparently the two go hand in hand for absorption. It took me ages to find one in combination in the chemist!

W

wombat62

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 10:47:16 PM »

I ended up buying D3 with K and then a separate Magnesium one. Supplements are incredibly expensive over here plus there are so many brands it takes about half an hour to find the right one at the right price!

One thing I have found recently and this might help some of you. Having lost a lot of weight and mainly around my tummy (yay!) the downside is that I've started getting a few hot flushes during the day and some night sweats again (boooo!). I've only just started taking these supplements but one day I forgot to take them and took the D, Magnesium and C just before going to bed and.....I had a much better night! Then I've found over the last few weeks if I don't take them before bed I have to get up twice in the night rather than my usual once and I've been much warmer in bed. I don't want to up my patch as I'd rather stick to the lowest dose, I can cope with the odd flush during the day but I do need my sleep!

Anyway, thought I would share that in case it helps someone else.

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »

I have the one Taz2 mentions.  Do you take the 1000 or the 3000 Taz2? I have the 1000 but the endo has advised the 3000

Sarai

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »

Well fancy the NHS website saying do not exceed 25mcg (or whatever you wrote) I was given 40000iu on prescription and I got the reaction from hell. I have documented it on here previously. It ruined me for 2015 and still not recovered.
I am scared to death of the stuff now.

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

sorry to hear that.  I have to confess I am proceeding with caution and just using the 1000iu spray at the moment.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »

If you are deficient now babyjane after achieving normal levels with a supplement I would try to take steps so that you don't become deficient in the fufutre - by getting out in the sunlight as much as possible (I think you're retirement age and also not stuck in an office?) without sunscreen - especially between the months of March and November. If you do this and ensure your diet contains plenty of Vit D too, your body stores it to last throughout winter. This is how I (hopefully!) make sure I am not deficient. Having said that I have never had mine measured - and I am out in the sun a lot. If mine are deficient now in March (the lowest time of year for Vit D stores) I will revise my opinion!!!

I don't think you will need to take any other supplements with the Vit D - you should definitely be able to get all you need of the other stuff from your diet - I would have thought, provided it is varied and contains fresh not processed foods - unless your endocrinologist has recommended that you should.

Hurdity x

wombat62

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »

I think it's an age thing as well, either we don't process or store it so well.

It will also be interesting to see how things go in the future now that kids don't play out so much. We were even getting rickets in Oz as they took the slip, slap, slop thing a bit too far.

I also read an article saying a lot of old age ailments could be improved with a good dose of sunshine and keeping well hydrated. Maybe this is why all the retirees in Spain look so good!

blossom60

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 10:13:44 AM »

Malabsorption becomes an increasing problem as we get older.  That's why so many elderly are vitamin deficient, even with a good diet.

blossom60

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »

Quite right.
Pages: [1] 2