Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hi fellow menopausers!  (Read 2224 times)

Lors-1972

Hi fellow menopausers!
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »

Hi, I'm Laura and 43 years old and recently been diagnosed as perimenopausal. I feel like I'm going mad! Mood swings, snapping at anyone and everyone (poor hubby is getting the brunt of it), sleeping pattern is all over the place, hot flushes night sweats, aches and pains all over, you name it... I've got it!  However, finding this site and reading through other comments, it's kinda nice to know I'm not alone!
Doctor  seems to be pushing the marina coil to alleviate symptoms, but I'm not keen... I can't use tampons as idea of anything being in there for any length of time is wrong in my opinion......

I was wondering if anyone has tried menopace to relieve symptoms?

Any ideas would be gratefully received xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi fellow menopausers!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »

:welcomemm:

Have a browse round.  Make notes!  If you use the 'search' button for "Mirena coil" it should take you to relative threads.

Sounds like you are 'within normal limits' from where I'm sitting  ;).  Someone will be along with other suggestions.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »

Hi Lors-1972

:welcomemm: from me too!

How did the doctor diagnose you as peri-menopausal and have you had blood tests to rule out any other cause for your symptoms? I presume your periods have become irregular (?) - although some unfortunate women begin to get flushes etc even while having regular periods!

Not sure why the doc would prescribe the Mirena coil unless you are having very heavy blood loss/periods - it doesn't eliminate menopausal symptoms although a small amount of the progestogen does enter the bloodstream so possibly could prevent some of the symptoms due to progesterone withdrawal at the end of the cycle?

If your oestrogen levels are dropping then adding extra oestrogen (HRT) may well help although it is often difficult to get the balance right while periods are still regular because sometimes oestrogen levels surge at this time. If you added oestrogen ( eg in the form of patch or gel) then the Mirena coil would help keep the womb lining thin and limit bleeding as well as  providing contraception. Later on oestrogen will definitely help and if you are likely to have an early menopause (periods stop before 45) or even before the natural average age of menopause of 51/52, then taking oestrogen is advisable anyway to help protect your heart and bones amongst other things.

There is an excellent article about peri-menopause on this site here which I recommend:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Menopace is really just mainly an expensive vitamin & mineral supplement as I understand. It also contains soya which contains phyto-oestrogens that may have a weak oestrogenic effect but not completely understood nor conclusive evidence.

Personally, rather than take this, I would make sure your diet is tip top & balanced with lots of fresh fruit, veg, nuts and grains, low fat protein etc, and make any changes to your lifestyle to help you embark on this next stage of your life - eg limit alcohol, cut out smoking (if necessary) keep to healthy BMI, take more exercise, get out into the sun, reduce stress - and you'll be well on your way to feeling better!

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php

Hope this helps

Hurdity x :)

Lors-1972

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:40:44 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
I had blood tests for everything due to symptoms, and eventually had internal swabs taken to confirm perimenopausal hormone levels. I have not had a period since November last year, but I did suffer from very heavy bleeds.
There is some history of breast cancers in the family, making HRT difficult.
I have read and read information on mirena coil, and obviously spoken to family and friends. Some swear by it, but some swear at it! Lol. I just don't know what yo do... I do however know I can not stay this way for much longer! Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »

Breast cancer doesn't need to be the reason why HRT isn't prescribed, especially if they aren't close relatives, i.e. sister/mother/grandmother.  GPs have had new guidelines recently regarding the pros and cons associated with BC and HRT - Quality of Life is important too.  Maybe have a chat with your Practice Nurse?

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »

Hi Lors
I didnt take HRT and like you Id no more have a coil in than fly to the moon
My tampons fell out and the very thought YUK
BUT see your not alone huge hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »

Hi Lors-1972

As CLKD said breast cancer in the family does not necessarily preclude you from taking HRT - and it depends on how close the relatives and what type of cancer. There is information on this site about breast cancer and HRt and risks here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

Also especially at your age risk is negligible - here is what it says on this site:

"If HRT is commenced at a young age because of premature menopause, e.g. after hysterectomy, then the use of HRT up to the age of 50 does not increase breast cancer risk any more than in women who continue to have periods up to the age of 50. Additional risk from HRT only applies if it is then taken for more than 5 years after 50. "

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

Maybe the family factor may increase the risk slightly but you would need also to weigh up the health benefits of replacing oestrogen to help protect your heart and bones - even if you only took it up to the age of 52.

The risks were also determined from a study where women took equine oestrogens and synthetic progestogens and increasing evidence shows that using bio-identical hormones ( ie estradiol - tablets, patches or gel) with separate progesterone (Utrogestan) - all available on NHS - risk is minimised.

Hurdity x