Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: I'm new and struggling a bit...  (Read 4320 times)

Unique

I'm new and struggling a bit...
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:03 AM »

Hi

I had a sub total hysterectomy, omentectomy, Salpingo Oopherectomy in October last year due to tumours. I am 48. My surgeon didn't give me HRT to start with as he said he would see how I managed first. I did not manage... And once over the effects of a major operation, was hit by bad menopause symptoms (hot flushes, mood swings being the worst) alongside dealing with the mental impact of being diagnosed with ovarian tumours out of the blue. I suffered for a while and then went back to him and asked for HRT which he had originally said I could have because of the type of tumour I have. Anyway he then decided to test for oestrogen receptivity and decided he wasn't sure if I should have it and referred me for a second opinion. This has all taken AGES as I am now 5 months post op. This new consultant has given me the go ahead considering the risk and the benefits and put me on Oestrogel.

I have been taking it for a week and little relief so far...in fact I feel worse with MORE hot flushes and very low mood. I guess part of it is in my head. She did say 'You will feel so much better in a weeks time' so my expectation was high, and I think that has not helped. I suppose I just have to be more patient. Did anyone else feel worse before they felt better?

Dancinggirl

Re: I'm new and struggling a bit...
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »

Hi Unique and welcome to MM
You've had a tough time and as you have gone quite a time without any oestrogen it is going to take a while for your body to adjust and get the hormones to do their magic.   
What dose are you using? 2 pumps per day?  Are you applying the gel to inner thighs after washing and drying the area and then allowing it to dry for at least 10 mins before dressing? Don't rub it in, just apply it gently over a good area and leave it to dry.
Last time I went back to using the gel, after a one year break, it took about 3-4 weeks before my meno symptoms calmed down. I have always found the gel great to use (Transdermal is usually far more efficient ) as you can adjust the amount according to what you need.  If after 4 weeks you don't see any improvement then I would ask if you can increase to 3 pumps per day - they may do a blood test to see if you are absorbing the oestrogen properly. 
If you are only using one pump of gel per day then it will take longer for the benefits to be felt but it could be worth sticking with this dose as in time it might be the right amount for you - strangely I do better on one pump instead of 2 pumps per day!!!!
Keep us posted.  Dg xx   

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »

Hi Unique

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »

:welcomemm:

:bighug:

Love the name!  The other Forum you may find assistance with is the Ovacome site, which is how I landed on here  ::).  At least your Surgeon was honest and sought a 2nd opinion and it seems that the advice is supportive.  However, very little works immediately particularly as mentioned, you have been without oestrogen for several months.  Plus the shock of finding that you had tumours that warranted surgical intervention, such a lot to take in!

Little steps.  Ask what ever you think will ease your feelings! nothing is taboo on here ;-).

:tulips2:

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:14 PM »

:welcomemm:

It does take a few weeks until you start feeling the benefits, so hang in there. We're all different. Took me about 3/4 weeks, some are longer. Fingers crossed you start feeling better soon.

Unique

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:37:29 PM »

I understand I need to wait, but it is WORSE, not better! I am stuck in the office feeling grim with wave after wave of hot flushes :( and palpitations after a terrible night. I know patience is a virtue, but .... :'(

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:11:28 PM »

Unique - It is strange that your flushes seem to be worse not better.  Are you using 2 pumps per day? Have you had your thyroid function checked? I still think it is going to take at least 2-4 weeks for the oestrogen to work it's magic though.  You sound really anxious & stressed and this will make your flushes worse. Is the office really hot as well - I can't stand the heating up too high. If you are not sleeping then that won't help - have you tried using Nytol - not the herbal one but the one with antihistamine in it?
Have you ever tried relaxation techniques or Mindful Meditation which can really help to control stress and anxiety?
I think you are still recovering from the op as well - did you have enough time off post op with proper R&R?
I'd see your GP and ask if you can be written off sick for a week to allow you time to get things back on track. 
DG x 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:06:51 PM by Dancinggirl »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »

:bighug:

Catspelle

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »

Hi there sorry you are having a tough time with HRT. If your symptoms are worse it may be your does is not right. It's interesting you went onto the gel did you try other forms? If symptoms worsen it's because your oestrogen levels have stabilised are are not high enough. Time to go back to the GP I'm afraid. It can take a while to sort things out. Best wishes x

Unique

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »

Thank you all for your kind support. I am doing the two pumps and applying it carefully according to the instructions. I have had my thyroid checked. I think I will give it a couple of days and then if things are no better go back to the consultant. Luckily I have a very kind (male as it happens) boss who is very sympathetic.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »

I'm sure you are going to feel better over the next 2-3 weeks - we are all different so while some feel immediately better, others find it takes a few weeks.  Try to stay positive - the gel is the best way to use oestrogen. Dg x

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »

Hello and welcome  :welcomemm:

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

HIDEY HI  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

Hi Unique

:welcomemm: from me too and hope you're feeling better now :)

Hurdity x