Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Atrophy/bladder problems  (Read 3784 times)

Jc2

Atrophy/bladder problems
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »

Hello, new to posting although I've been reading your posts for sometime now. It's really comforting to know that I'm not alone.

Briefly, I've had Uti problems for some years now. Had all the usual tests to rule out any nasties. Finally I did some research and asked Gp if I might have VA. oh yes, so you have!! Why oh why do gps not consider this when women in their mid fifties suddenly present with this type of problem? So frustrating. Alongside this I've had terrible anxiety problems. Backwards and forwards to the gp. No mention of post menopause!! Only realised when I found this forum how common it is.
Anyway I'm using vagifem now and the Uti problem is hugely improved but I'm still suffering with the constant feeling of needing to pee, to put it delicately. It really gets me down and doesn't help at all with my anxiety problems. Anyone found anything that helps them with this problem? I know I don't have a Uti as I've had clear lab results. I use Yes which gives a bit if relief.

ancient runner

Re: Atrophy/bladder problems
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

Poor you. I entirely agree with both of your points. I had to diagnose my own VA too.
How long have you been using the VF for? It does take a while to get things sorted although you do get quick improvement.

Jc2

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:48:13 PM »

Oh months now. Probably even a year. Definitely helped prevent the Utis but cannot get rid of this feeling of discomfort although no urgency.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »

I find multigyn actigel a help  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 06:31:03 PM »

Hi and welcome Jc2
Sometimes the local oestrogen doesn't absorb into the bladder and full systemic HRT can often help with this.  In other words, many of us need Vagifem together with full HRT to really sort the bladder issues.  Your bladder may be particularly sensitive because you have had untreated VA for so long and this could settle in time with regular use of the Vagifem - perhaps use it 3 times a week for a while to really get the absorption up a notch.  AS  dahliagirl has said, some vaginal moisturisers or gels can help to ease the discomfort as well.  Do drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine, acidic juices and fizzy drinks - they all aggravate the bladder.  Also try drinking a glass of water with half teaspoon of bicarb once a day for a week (you can add some squash/ elderflower or herbal tea to make it palatable) as this can really calm everything down - old fashioned remedy but it often helps.
Some systemic HRT might actually help your anxiety but I practise Mindful Meditation which is great for calming stress.  Keep posting Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:50:44 PM »

:welcomemm:   I was given Ovestin1mg for vaginal atrophy and a few weeks ago I didn't use it regularly enough. Whilst waiting for the preparation to kick in again, I took Nurofen to ease the needing to wee feelings.

Jc2

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 07:45:44 PM »

Thanks very much everyone. Really appreciated. I have another appointment with gp next week so want to go fully armed with details of anything that may have helped ladies here. 59 now, can you start full hrt at this age?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 08:31:12 PM »

I don't see why not …….. as long as you understand any risks that GPs might put forwards?  59 is a number not how we should be feeling ;-)

Clovie

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:16:49 PM »

Oooh dear, this sounds nasty, I'm really sorry to hear you're (all) suffering, hope you get some relief.

(Being a woman sucks big time!! Is there no end to our indignities!  *mini-rant over*  ;D  Got to laugh, haven't we? x)

I've a question about VA if anyone can answer please, I have no symptoms of this at the moment, and I have recently changed from oral oestrogen to oestrogel.

Should I be asking for something local as well? Or will the gel be sufficient?

Thanks

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »

Clovie - if you havetn't problems down below then don't worry - the systemic HRT will usually prevent VA issues  - not every women gets VA symptoms.  DG x

Clovie

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:40:08 PM »

Thank you DG, I hope I don't!!

And here's to anyone suffering from it, hope you get sorted, I really do xx