Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anyone tried Kalms?  (Read 9110 times)

Trufflecat

Anyone tried Kalms?
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »

Just wondering whether these would help with the few (thankfully) days of feeling really awful each month. The HRT is improving things and is being tweaked now and again, but for a day when I can feel the hormonal anger and anxiety rising I wonder if these would help?

Sooby

Re: Anyone tried Kalms?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »

Truffle,

I tried them about 5 years ago when my peri symptoms began (at the time I didn't know it was peri ). I didn't find them very effective against feelings of escalating anxiety. I found rescue remedy had more of an effect on me than Kalms but I didnt use them for long before I was prescribed Beta blockers.

Today I was struggling and thought about taking Black cohosh in addition to my patch but in the end I just settled for some practical calming / relaxation tools.

Some ideas here - http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/reduce-stress.aspx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »

Trufflecat - Mindful Meditation is better - it's good to practise Mind Med anyway as a general strategy for coping with stressful times. DG x

Trufflecat

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 05:32:48 PM »

Thanks.
I agree that relaxation tools are a far better idea. They are just difficult to implement when getting the tea ready for the kids after a day at work when feeling that I really shouldn't be allowed to use sharp objects! 😉

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »

I'm not sure what Kalms are but just to say Sooby - don't take Black Cohosh as well as a patch! Firstly there are questions over long term use of this re side-effects and health problems. Also as they contain weak phyto oestrogens - they could possibly bind to oestrogen receptors and interfere with the effect of oestrogen from the patch - I vaguely remember reading something about this. If you need extra oestrogen - go for a higher dose of the real stuff!

I agree with any form of relaxation technique to reduce stress rather than meds if possible :)

Hurdity x

Meeka

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:51:37 PM »

I suffer from occasional migraine.   I have recently tried Nytol as I was informed they help prevent nausea during a migraine.   The dose is two tablets but I only took a half of one tablet.  They are antihistamine based and I have to say they have a very calming effect.   They should definitely not be used regularly and I think it said they should not be taken for more than 3 days .   

I agree with the others that meds are best avoided of course.   I wonder if anyone else has tried them and hit any problems/side effects?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:04:09 PM by Meeka »

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »

From what I remember these are valerian....so a herbal remedy.  I have tried these a long time ago and they did work for and improved my sleep. Think they are good for mild anxiety. However, I do remember, they do take a while to work. I remember taking for a month before feeling any benefit.

Hope this helps.

Trufflecat

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose I want a magic wand really. My GP keeps pushing antidepressants at me but I don't want to take something all the time. However, even with HRT I am permanently anxious and pretty much always have been, even as a child.
Onwards and upwards!

Sooby

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 07:28:34 AM »

Trufflecat there is an NLP technique called anchoring which would be useful for you to draw on and yes its quick to use while you are cooking tea  ;D. The only problem is that in order to master it you need to be in an emotionally resourceful state and when you are in this terrible phase thats not going to be easy.

When this phase passes however have a look at Hypnotherapy, NLP and Meditative techniques when you have a bit more space in your head. The tools I have in mind involve you either achieving a very calm and relaxed state or ( in the case of NLP) conjuring up a really positive memory which is then really strengthened by running over it again and again in your mind while stirring up very positive emotions to go with it ( called calibration) Sometimes tapping the hypothalamus at the same time and playing a piece of music which also ties in with this really positive and resourceful state of mind. Then linking them all together with a physical anchor which can be rubbing your tummy or pinching your thumb and fingers together, squeezing your earlobe if that's more discreet.

When you are in times of stress you use the anchor to bring back all those positive thoughts and feelings. If you are making tea you could play the chosen piece of music. If you exercise you can use the same technique of anchoring and music to conjure up how you feel when your body is full of endorphins and you feel strong and invincible. A song with lyrics that you can identify with will work best. Some that I have found effective for women are ... Katy Perry's - eye of the tiger. Diana Ross - I'm coming out,  or Labi Siffre - Something inside so strong. I know that you are probably feeling a little too out of control to take any of these suggestions in at the moment but a good distraction technique to get you through today may be You-Tubeing some inspiring tracks. ;)

Hurdity, thank you so much for your timely warning about the cohosh. I think the estrogen level is ok but its the progesterone phase that is so making every day life so difficult. Like Trufflecat I was feeling desperate.  :-\

bramble

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »

I used Kalms years ago and I think they did help to take the edge off the anxiety. In fact I have just dug the bottle out again. No harm in trying them. Like a lot of things, they will work for some people and some not but they are not too expensive an investment!

Bramble

Meeka

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:35:51 PM »

Puka night time tea is worth a try.   I drink it before bed and I think it helps.  Contains hops and valerium.  tastes OK too.