Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone tried Macafem  (Read 1451 times)

Smokey

Anyone tried Macafem
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:54:47 PM »

This is a natural product which apparently helps with boosting your own oestrogen levels etc.

Reviews are good but then arnt they all!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone tried Macafem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »

Have you used the 'search' button? maybe there are past threads?

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 04:58:02 PM »

There have been threads on it Smokey - Maca is actually a food from the root of a plant but not sure how the commerical product differs from the powder that you can add to food or cook with. It (the plant food) is known for being high in nutrients including minerals and trace elements - which would give health benefits - and was traditionally used by men to boost virility so I read! I'm not sure what it contains other than this but I don't think it does anything to oestrogen levels ie I don't think it even contains phytooestrogens - but I haven't looked into it in detail.

Here is one of the threads - I've posted the abstract of a study and I think there may be other links too?

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25702.15.html

Hurdity x

dogdoc

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:37 PM »

I am on it and it is working for me ( I think). I'm still considered 'early' peri sadly, but thinking I'm heading into late peri now. Most of maca is polysaccharides ( sugars) and they believe it to be a potent antioxidant. They are still looking at the bioactive compounds responsible for it's effects on people. There are some studies out...it seems to reduce anxiety/depression, increase sperm count, may reduce menopausal symptoms ( anecdotally I think it does), and may increase calcium and iron. It's supposed effect is not directly on sex steroids ( in other words it won't increase your estrogen), but it acts directly on the hypothalamic pituitary axis which regulates your sex hormones.

Tara