Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Frequency of hot flushes  (Read 3551 times)

coldethyl

Frequency of hot flushes
« on: February 25, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »

My hot flushes seem to have ramped up a gear recently and I'm getting them constantly for several hours at a stretch throughout the day. Often they don't seem to subside between flushes and I just feel red hot and anxious for long periods of time. They are much worse before and during a bleed and may yet drive me back to GP. Does anyone else experience frequent flashes as the stuff I've read talk about one an hr or even less frequently and that certainly isn't my experience. X

Taz2

Re: Frequency of hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »

That sounds really uncomfortable. Mine started off quite mildly and lasted around three minutes. After a year of being manageable they ended up every twenty minutes, day and night, and lasted from start to finish for five minutes each time. I've never had that "hot all of time" feeling with mine.

Taz x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »

Coldethyl, why don't you consider taking HRT?  You really don't need to put up with these terrible symptoms, I wouldn't be able to stand them for a week let alone long term. 

I have never had hot flushes so I don't know what they feel like but it must be very debilitating to have to live like that.  Why don't you try the Oestrogen gel?  You could start on a low dose of 1 pump and then go on to a higher dose if necessary.  I have found it to be the most effective form of HRT by far and I really think it could change your life and give you huge overall health benefits. 

You really don't need to suffer, give it a try. 

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:54:49 PM »

I'm not keen on HRT. Family history of hormonal dependent cancers and I have migraine with aura and endometriosis which my GP said would possibly worsen on HRT. I don't like the flashes but will see how I get on in next few weeks. I see GP on 9th March so will discuss then.

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »

I'm on BCP for early meno & whenever I have my pill break, hot flushes are almost continuous.  So I would guess I would be like this much more if I wasn't topping up my hormones the rest of the time.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »

I have never had a hot flush, until today (I think?).

My low mood and anxiety had been building and building all afternoon. Then just at its worst my torso seemed to momentarily feel like it was under pressure and white hot, and my chin and throat felt like they were red.

Then it suddenly stopped, and it felt like a weight had lifted and I felt better.

I didn't sweat though, so could it still be a hot flush. It seemed as much psychological as physical?

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »

Hi GRL - flushes tend to change into sweats as time goes on in my experience.  My first couple of years I "just" had flushing but then each flush was accompanied by drenching sweats - they used to steam up my glasses which was most embarrassing and I took a change of clothes into work as it is horrible wearing damp stuff. The pressure in the body is the build up of adrenaline just before the flush/sweat hits. You may have also felt a bit nauseous or as if you needed to use the toilet and a feeling of doom and sudden fatigue is quite common. As the flush begins quite often the heart rate can increase quite dramatically before returning to normal as the flush subsides. Obviously not everyone gets all of these symptoms.

Taz x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 01:54:20 PM »

That's rely interesting to read, thanks Taz.

Yesterday I felt like it was a very slow build over a few hours? Increasing sense of doom (that's exactly the right word) and a peculiar sensation across my chest, that felt faintly icy cold or white hot (I couldn't tell between the two). Then my face and throat felt like they were briefly very pink and 'the doom' intensified. Then suddenly it was like someone flicked a switch and it all quickly drained away.

Felt immediately much calmer and 'brighter' inside, albeit quite feeble. Felt fine all evening and actually slept well which I haven't really done in nearly a week. I even woke in the night (when noisy DH came to bed) and I easily went back to sleep.

But can these flushes be on such a slow burn to reach their peak?

coldethyl

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »

I get something very similar GRL. Sometimes I get a quick rush of adrenalin and flush and it is over in a minute or two. Other times it is a slow burn and I feel hot and anxious for ages. Some element experience a hot flush aura so that your feeling of doom seems a reasonable thing. I can just feel a bit more on edge, or a bit warm for a while before they start up properly and when they subside I feel much less anxious and dizzy, though they leave me with a headache sometimes.