Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: FSH  (Read 2310 times)

carrieann07

FSH
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »

Hello, My name is Carrie. I have been having symptoms of perimenopause for the last year. I'm 37 and there is a family history of early menopause in my family. Recently my symptoms have been getting worse. I started out with hot flashes off and on through the week and now I'm getting hot flashed more regularly and night sweats along with my period being extremely heavy, clotty, pms that lasts for weeks and is extremely bad. I didn't even get symptoms of pms before this started. I had skipped my period for three months and then noticed that I was on a very short cycle, like 24 days. Now I will go 50/60 days with no period. anyway, this all seemed to be pointing to menopause for me. I went in and talked to the doctor and he thought it was to early for perimenopause,  but wanted to do a FSH test to make sure. He had the nurse take my blood in the office that day. I don't have the results yet. well, I went home and started reading about the test and from what I can come up with the test should be taken on a specific day in your cycle and he just took it randomly, didn't even ask what day I was on. Does it matter what day they take the test on and shouldn't I have had other blood work done? any insight would be greatly appreciated. I kinda feel like he just did the one blood test to appease me. also, If the symptoms I described sound like something else could you let me know? The doctor is also going to do an ultrasound looking for polyps and fibroids. Thanks so much

Carrie 

Lizab

Re: FSH
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »

Welcome, Carrie! The FSH question is complicated. Yes, it should be taken on a certain day if you're still cycling. But, in perimenopause, even on that particular day, it could really read at any level, as hormones fluctuate up and down in peri.

As for your cycles, that is very similar to what I have experienced as well. I'm 39, I had clotty, heavy periods, and extended period of bleeding. They did ultrasounds and biopsies to look for other causes. Then when I had my second round of skipping periods for 3 months, they tested my fsh and it came back well into post-menopausal range.

My guess is, with your symptoms, if your fsh come back high, you can probably trust that it's menopause. But if it doesn't come back high, that doesn't mean you're  not in perimenopause, it may just mean you're blood test caught you in a fluctuation of higher estrogen and lower fsh.

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 05:32:22 PM »

I should also add, I'm not sure where you are and if the standards vary, but I'm in the US, and here an FSH test is not the first order of business in evaluating these issues at age 37. So you're doctor may very well have been appeasing you, or may have been pulling that first FSH test knowing that really you should have two or more high FSH tests before they can say it's menopause. The ultrasounds are standard first order of business. Also, you may ask about having your thyroid levels checked, as thyroid symptoms can mimic perimenopause symptoms.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 05:34:43 PM »

Hi carrieann07

:welcomemm:

I have posted about this today and yesterday, because I looked it up - so I suggest you read these threads and the links about testing for premature menopause:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31134.0.html
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,31127.0.html

Hurdity x :)

Lizab

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »

Thank you for researching and posting those, Hurdity! It's good for me to revisit those as well.

Carrie, you'll find that Hurdity is an excellent source for factual information, beyond the anecdotal info that most of us share. Read her links!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:56:35 PM by Lizab »

carrieann07

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just wait and see how the test comes out. The doctor mentioned putting in an IUD to help slow down the bleeding. I'm not so much worried about the bleeding as I am worried out me flying off the handle, not sleeping, sweating like a pug in a Chinese restaurant and all the other exaggerated symptoms I have been getting.

Carrie