Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: propranolol  (Read 8085 times)

dolly64

propranolol
« on: February 26, 2016, 12:35:23 PM »

Hi.After suffering woozy lightheadedness for 3 weeks,which got worse over that time,i managed to go see my dr.she seems to think it is the propranolol ive been taking since end of September.its a relatively low dose,15mg in the day and 15mg overnight,i couldn't go higher as it was lowering my blood pressure to much.what I cant understand is why it has only just caused me to feel this way,anybody else had this happen to them?.
anyway she has told me to cut out 5mg this week and another 5mg nxt week,see how I feel.so since Wednesday I have stopped half a tablet,still got the lightheadedness as well as feeling yuk,bit quesy,jittery,upset guts,i know its the withdrawel effect but has anyone been through this and any tips on how to deal with it.

I have been taking propranolol for palpitations and anxiety.

thanks in advance if you have any info.
dolly.

limpy

Re: propranolol
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »

I tried Propranolol to try and help deal with migraines.
It was a low dose, 5mg twice a day.
5mg once a day was too much.
Got very dizzy, keeling over when standing up, oh fingers got very swollen as well.
BP did get "healthily low" though........   ::)
Never got beyond once a day - the migraines didn't go either.
Only stuck it for 2 weeks.

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »

I have been on it for over a year now, a very low dose - 2.5mg - twice or three times a day. I have been told it is a placebo effect as such a small dose cannot possibly make any difference but it does, after all I am absorbing 5 - 7.5mg of the active ingredient a day.

I notice the difference if I forget to take a dose and I find it levels me.  I think higher doses affect blood pressure too much and that's what causes the nasty effects.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »

I can't remember how I felt, my GP gave me 80mg for the 1st 3 months.  Then I dropped to 40mg at night.  My BP is 'good' but I think it's forgotten that I'm taking them  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:00:28 PM »

I discussed the weight/doseage issue years ago but no one agreed that because I was less than 7st., dosage would be different for me to someone weighing much heavier!

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »

I agree, a quarter of a 10mg is enough for me 2 or 3 times a day despite the instruction manual saying the score line is for ease of swallowing, not to divide doses  ::)

coldethyl

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 06:43:07 PM »

I take 10mg twice a day. I started on 40mg twice a day but only ever managed 40 a day as BP was daft on it. I've also split tablets if I've felt that I needed an extra boost or a bit less. All I was told was to taper as I came down if I ever took the 3 three times a day as on my prescription. even the 20 can give me dry eyes and vivid dreams though the hospital a and e dr told me that such as dose was practically homeopathic! I think 40mg is starting dose for anxiety.

limpy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 06:56:38 PM »

It seems daft that weight isn't taken into account when prescribing.
How can a 18 stone rugby player need the same dose (of anything) as a 5 stone ballet dancer.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 07:34:08 PM »

A friend of mine rang yesterday: he's was put onto Propranolol B4 C.mas and was hyper  :o ………. after 4 nights he stopped taking it. 

coldethyl

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 11:25:59 PM »

Years ago I took atenolol for a week. It made me unable to sleep and a bit hyper. Not found same with propranolol.

Ms Saucy

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 12:03:15 AM »

Hi there...
I have taken it for around 5 years ...was 10mg three times daily...now 10mg daily and all fine, no ill effects xxx

dolly64

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »

HI,thanks for replies.
since I cut out the 5mg ive felt awful,yesterday was the worst day,very nervy,jittery,which started my ibs,quesy rumbling stomache,headache and im still woozy.had to get up at 1.15am as felt yuk and couldn't sleep,made a hotty bottle and laid on sofa few hours,then back to bed and dozed on and off,had popping ears this morning.
I am a sensitive with any meds,so my body evidently feels the missing chemical,now I don't know if I should start taking it again and reduce by smaller amount,or if I don't how long will I have to deal with these withdrawel symptoms because I feel worse than ever and will evidently spoil plans I have for this week.and my dr said no problems  :'(.
dolly.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »

hello dolly, I know what you mean. I literally only take a quarter of a tablet twice or three times a day but once or twice I have forgotten to take it and only remember when I start feeling really off and am trying to think why.

I am also very sensitive to meds, hence the ultra low dose I take of things which the doctors think cannot possibly have anything but a placebo effect. They tend to generalise but there is always an exception to every rule.

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »

The problem with a lot of these meds is stopping them! They are causing side effects themselves but the side effects of stopping can also be problematic.

Are you able to look at other ways to help you deal with anxiety other than a medication designed mainly for people with heart problems and which lowers blood pressure? Lots of members have posted about all sorts of mind type exercises as well as suggestions about keeping blood sugar more stable. Unfortunately your body would have to acclimatise physiologically to being without them though.

I can't remember where you are in meno and whether you are on HRT but I have a feeling you are unable to have it for some reason?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 03:44:29 PM »

The side-effect I have when I stop Propranolol is a slight woozy feeling in my head and the feeling of not walking quite in a straight line  ;D - otherwise, NOWT of note  ;)
Pages: [1] 2