Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Feel like a teen again  (Read 3664 times)

Lizab

Feel like a teen again
« on: February 23, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »

I feel exactly like a hormonal teenager. Yesterday I had a fair day, took my youngest for a checkup and had lunch and playtime with a friend. I was a bit anxious before the appointment, and had hot flashes while I was waiting for them to finish with my daughter, but was proud of myself for pulling it together and not making a complete fool of myself with my sweat and anxiety ::)

Lunch and our visit was great. I thought "All right, I think I can resume normal life! It's so nice to be socializing and living life."

Later in the evening, I felt a bit off again, chalked it down to being tired, and went to bed where, of course, I couldn't sleep.

Today I've been weepy all day. I couldn't even tell you what is making me cry. I feel so unsettled. I vaguely remember this feeling from puberty. Back then I blamed it all on my horrible mother ;D And of course, I escaped by sneaking cigs, listening to horrible music, and kissing boys! Now I would need something more than a kiss and a cigarette to calm this restlessness, but my rebellious side disappeared long ago.

I have no idea what to do with this hormonal upheaval! I'm uncomfortable in my own skin, not always though. It seems to change every hour.

I needed to vent. Again. Sorry, ladies.

Dorothy

Re: Feel like a teen again
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 07:59:19 PM »

Vent away!  That's what we are here for.

I've adjusted to the emotional swings now, but before I realised I was peri, I found it really confusing.  I've never been the kind of person who cries a lot, and I found myself crying for any reason or even no reason at all. - remember eating my dinner one night with tears rolling down my cheeks!  (And no, it wasn't due to my awful cooking skills  ;D )

I just treat my hormones as if they were stroppy toddlers throwing temper tantrums - "oh no, here we go again, but they'll grow out of it eventually".  Walking - especially somewhere nice - often helps make me feel more settled, as does not worrying over how I feel.  Or doing a fairly mindless physical job like dusting.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »

Hormones  >:(  ::)

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »

Yes, Dorothy! The mindless chores are great! I have a pattern of crying for any or no reason, then getting pissed with myself for being so emotional, so I dive into chores while still blubbery and snotty. It gets my mind on the task, and when I've finished my mind is clear and I've accomplished something, so I feel much better.

Trufflecat

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 09:04:26 PM »

You sound just like my 12 year old twins! It's horrible. X

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 09:30:46 PM »

It is, Trufflecat! I feel like a 12 year old, or maybe a 14 year old. And my oldest is heading into puberty now. Thank heavens he's a boy! And if I had waited to hit the menopause closer to the "normal" age, my daughter would be in puberty at the same time. I think I'm taking one for the team by going through it so early. ;D

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:28:48 PM »

Try not to get cross, embarrassed or upset with yourself for crying - I just tell myself this is my hormones & it makes no more sense to be worked up about crying than it does sneezing, coughing or breathing!  I've had a few people worried that something awful has happened when they see me with red eyes and a swollen nose and I've learned to be very open about it - just explain that this is the menopause, it's normal, crying for no reason is one of the more irritating aspects of it but that there is nothing to worry about.  After the first explanation, they just look at me and say 'hormones?' and I say 'hormones!' and we get on with talking about something more interesting!  As a bonus, it's making the other girls more aware of the menopause & especially that you don't have to be 50+ to have symptoms.  Hopefully this will mean they don't have to wait so long to work out what is happening when they start.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »

I am unable to cry  :-\ ……… sometimes I feel like a good bawl would clear my heart.

Lizab

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »

I used to feel the same, CLKD. I could probably count on one had the number of times I've cried as an adult, up until last year. It's strange crying so easily.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:58:01 PM »

I feel exactly like a hormonal teenager. Yesterday I had a fair day, took my youngest for a checkup and had lunch and playtime with a friend. I was a bit anxious before the appointment, and had hot flashes while I was waiting for them to finish with my daughter, but was proud of myself for pulling it together and not making a complete fool of myself with my sweat and anxiety ::)

Lunch and our visit was great. I thought "All right, I think I can resume normal life! It's so nice to be socializing and living life."

Later in the evening, I felt a bit off again, chalked it down to being tired, and went to bed where, of course, I couldn't sleep.

Today I've been weepy all day. I couldn't even tell you what is making me cry. I feel so unsettled. I vaguely remember this feeling from puberty. Back then I blamed it all on my horrible mother ;D And of course, I escaped by sneaking cigs, listening to horrible music, and kissing boys! Now I would need something more than a kiss and a cigarette to calm this restlessness, but my rebellious side disappeared long ago.

I have no idea what to do with this hormonal upheaval! I'm uncomfortable in my own skin, not always though. It seems to change every hour.

I needed to vent. Again. Sorry, ladies.
I Love this site you can say anything and everyone is warm and kind.Just know you are not alone.  :)