Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waxing...  (Read 9055 times)

Hurdity

Waxing...
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:58:59 PM »

Not sure if this topic should be here on in other health or even private  ::)  however here goes....

I was sitting in the cold sunshine this morning contemplating my legs and wondering whether any of you do waxing and if so what and how or where? The only waxing I've ever had done is eyebrows - whenever I go into the big town/city (which isn't often). Due to hormone application there is more um hair appearing on inner upper thighs and since I wear v short shorts in the summer at home and on holiday, as well as going to fitness classes I need to deal with it.

Lower legs I usually shave - but thinking the upper area might benefit from a wax because the skin is delicate? Can you do this yourself eg buy some sort of kit and melt the wax and rip off the hairs with strips like they do on brows only bigger? Does it last a long time and does it regrow in the same way as shaving?

Please share what you've tried (apart from shaving) and what the best thing to do is as I've no idea!

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

Re: Waxing...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »

Only that I have immediately crossed my legs and sucked in my cheeks at the thought! I would be interested as well though.

limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »

I use an epilator on my lower legs - lasts for two weeks.
I use a decent razor in the shower for underarms and bikini area - every other day.
I'd be very wary of using wax on the shorts area - the skin is way too delicate.
Many moons ago I had my armpits waxed - ended up with bloody patches were the skin had been ripped away. Very very sore   :o

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:26:40 PM »

I wax my lower legs but only tried it once above the knee - I ended up with bright red spots where the hairs had been pulled out and bleeding in some areas.  So I shave everywhere else now.  If you are worried about how your skin might respond to shaving then definitely don't wax, as everyone I know who has tried both has a worse reaction to waxing than to shaving. 

You could try one of the creams?  Though I'm always a bit twitchy about putting anything on my skin that dissolves hair as I feel it can't be that good for the rest of me!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »

Firstly I echo Ju Ju's reaction  ;D

I would use a hair removal cream on thighs, ladies razor no the bikini area and a disposal on the lower legs.  Never a wax anywhere  :-X  :o

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 04:58:17 PM »

I only get full leg wax done for holidays, but get it done at beauty salon. Mainly shave. Get eyebrows waxed. I tried some wax strips once, which you heated between your hands. Excruciating!!! Looked like a plucked chicken. Seldom react at salon. Once tried an epilator which was a little less painful, but wasn't too successful.

Creams work well, but oh the smell!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:14 PM »

Age appropriate shorts  :o God forbid I ever get to that stage..... I've never heard of an age restriction applied to shorts length!!  I've always worn really short shorts in summer - I'm a sun worshipper, my kids are grown up and would never comment on what I wear (except to be complimentary if appropriate), my legs go brown very quickly,  and look fine (to me anyway  ;D ) - I keep fit.  Also I do have shorts/trousers of all lengths - mid thigh, knee length, cut-off jeans etc - but when the sun's out - it has to be the very short ones! Anyway they (the offending hairs) also show in a bikini/swim cossy - or is that out of bounds to over 60's too?  ;D

Thanks for all the suggestions but I'm still not sure now  ::) . Mixed reports of waxing - don't like the thought of soreness

Ooh Limpy I've never heard of an epilator -  I've only ever shaved (underam, bikini line, lower legs) or plucked (a few lip hairs and one chin hair which keeps coming back!) - oh yes and when I was about 13 tried the disgusting hair removal cream which seemed to be the rage back then - yes it stank!!

I imagine that's expensive cubagirl (at the salon) - but is it painful on upper thigh and how long does it last?

Haha Ju Ju!

Looks like it will have to be shaving then.....

Hurdity x :)

Galadriel

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »

Every month I go to my friend who is a beautician. She waxes my armpits, lower legs and a does a Brazilian bikini wax for me.  I'm so used to it now that it doesn't make my eyes water. The hair regrowth is very slow (only need de-hairing monthly) and finer.

Last month we were chatting so much that she got a bit carried away in the bikini area and I ended up so uneven on the  'landing strip' that we decided to whip it all off  :o Very interesting experience. However it did have some unexpected bonuses  :veil: :bed:

Galadriel x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:09:32 PM »

I left shorts behind when I left School  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:12 PM »

Upper thigh doesn't cause too much pain. Backs of knees & around ankles make my eyes water.  :o

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »

:-X …………  :madeyes:

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »

Professional waxing is the way to go, a normal bikini wax will sort your shorts dilemma out.

The only time I have found it painful was when I bought on of those DIY kits....it was so painful that I only managed one side :o never ever again!

So when I am swimming a lot I leave it to the professionals :)

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »

Thanks all - oo-er I've never been to any sort of salon like that - just get my eye brows done at Debenhams if I'm passing.... sounds expensive and a bit scary - and monthly sounds quite often - nearest town where they have this sort of thing is about 15 miles.... anyway I have some ideas - thank-you!

...I had no idea wearing shorts was so controversial - not what I was asking about !!!! :na:

Hurdity x :)

Scampi

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 04:49:22 PM »

I shave anywhere I want rid of hair - I've never been able to self-wax.  I did once have my legs waxed (to above the knee) and it didn't hurt .... I'd like to have a Hollywood (I think that's right - all off!), but I wouldn't have the nerve to go to salon for that doing.  I envy you, Galadriel, having a good friend who is beautician who can do it for you.

Galadriel

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »

We catch up on the gossip and she whips my unwanted hair off. It's a great friendship, Scampi.

DH wanted to get me one of those hair removal light zappers but was told 'no thanks!' I'd miss my girly chats and giggles.
Pages: [1] 2