Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Downsizing, editing and spring clean  (Read 6686 times)

Dancinggirl

Downsizing, editing and spring clean
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »

Hi all
We had some bight and frosty mornings recently that really show up the dust and dirt that tend to accumulate over the winter months - this always inspires me into action.  I'm really not house proud and I actually hate doing housework but doing a really good clear out feels so great.  Last year I did a complete rework of our utility room - a truly horrid job - I now know where everything is in this area. I then spent a day researching and moving all my utility, phone & broadband companies and saved around £600 - this felt so good that I vowed I would always do something in late winter to start the year in a positive way.  This winter I had flu over Christmas and it took me around 6 weeks to really feel back on form, so my projects for this year are a bit late. 

Last week I tackled my clothes - I got out everything from my chest of drawers and wardrobe, put it all on the bed and went through each item.  I was appalled to find that mildew had grown on some t shirts I hadn't worn for at least 3 years, so out they went. Most of the other items in my drawers had to be washed as well - I had been using the items at the top of the drawers leaving everything underneath to go musty - sounds awful doesn't it and I can't believe I let it get that bad!!!! A good number of things ended up for the charity bag and there is a short list of things I will need to replace e.g basic t shirts and underwear.

Then this week my husband emerged from the garage holding a box of things he had inherited from his grandmother - I had never seen what was inside?? The box was filled with beautifully carved wooden items from Ghana and had been bought in the 1940s when his grandmother had had a school there. We decided to sell these carved objects as it was highly unlikely our children would want them and this then inspired me to have a look through my jewellery.  Well, to be honest, I am just not a jewellery person, I only wear earrings and a watch.  I looked through all my jewellery and decided, apart from a few key pieces, it could all go to be sold.  Today we went to an auction house and have left all these things to be sold. It will be so interesting to see what we get - I have a tooth that needs a crown and even if we get £100 this will really help.

Have you done anything like this and if so what?

DG xxx

Ju Ju

Re: Downsizing, editing and spring clean
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »

Yes, it's feels good doesn't it?

We don't have a lot of space or storage, apart from the attic. We have been slowly been getting rid of stuff that I thought had gone years ago! DH has been moving stuff around in order to insulate more.
We've quite good down here, but even so. All my filing needs a good sort out, discarding stuff no longer relevant, out of date etc. Plus stuff from the past which we never look at and our children won't want, like school reports! We need to free up space down here. We've pretty good on clothes, purely because of lack of room. I look at things and consider do I use/wear it, has it any sentimental value? If not, out it goes, to charity shops, recycling etc.

It's good not to attach too much to things. I had a friend who lost everything she owned in a house fire, apart from her family and dogs that were rescued. What is more important?

As to cleaning, it can wait! Still very tired after my op. Needs heavy duty cleaning now!

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:58 PM »

I try to have a good sort out and spring clean between Christmas and Easter each year.  I do get rid of a few things each time, but it's mostly unwanted Christmas presents.  I do tend to hoard books and photo albums, but I reread a lot (don't watch tv) and the photo albums are irreplaceable, so they are certainly not going!  At least at the end of it, all my possessions are in better order, even if not greatly reduced in number!  And it does make me feel more positive about the year ahead.

Someone suggested I did a lent challenge this year where you put one item of clothing a day into a bag for 40 days and then donate the bag to charity.  Unfortunately, the one thing I don't hoard is clothes - I hate shopping for them so only buy them when absolutely necessary.  So if I did this challenge, by the end of 40 days, I'd be walking round in my underwear.  Not a pretty sight....

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:27 PM »

I've made a start to my clear out, but long way to go yet.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »

Trouble is, by the time you have paid to sell and/or buy at auction, it can take away any profit.  It's a great way to buy, pity you didn't let us know before you took  ;D - a MM Forum Auction along with ……..  this morning I looked at jewellery I won't wear ready to take to auction.  If it's something that I expect to make good money I will use an auction house with internet, our local one doesn't have Wiif access.  So bits and pieces go there but any Blue John would go elsewhere.

Will you go to the auction Dancinggirl or watch on line?  It started for us when we sold some 'silver' for Mum 10 years ago.  We got hooked!

I went through my clothes a few weeks ago.  I rarely wear dresses but have kept 5 ……. one day the sun will shine long enough for me to feel warm enough to put one on  :D.  I try to hang my jewellery with the clothing I am most likely to wear it with I have small net bags to hang on the necks of the hangers.  Trouble is, when I remove ear-rings etc. they tend to go into a pot and it's a bit of a chore to re-sort it all.

Himself buys T-shirts and underwear in bulk every 3-5 years, wears them to rags which then get taken to charity for bulk: that is; best then for gardening then for fishing then rags ………

First week of Jan. we turned out the filing cabinet and did lots of shredding because I am still searching for my paper Driving Licence.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 05:03:50 PM »

Ahhh!! I'm not alone when it comes to this kind of clean out.  We've auctioned things before with some pleasant surprises - we won't go to the auction but just wait and see - it does internet etc and is very well attended. It is a very good auction house in Norfolk, so an hours drive from us, but we often go up and do the viewings as there are sometimes quirky and interesting things to bid for.

I have a free day tomorrow and wondering what task I can tackle now - Ummmmm!!  DG x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »

Is it where Elizabeth works?  ;)
We watch on-line ……. stops me putting up my hand to bid  ;D

bramble

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 08:22:07 PM »

Did my wardrobe last week - got rid of lots of things and replaced a lot of plastic hangars with nice wooden ones. Will start in my drawers this week. Got lots of t-shirts - lets hope we have weather to wear them this year. Did all my filing boxes last year so that was a good job done.

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »

Our clothing goes to a shelter which helps homeless people locally.  It is steam cleaned and hung in an area for sale for a few pounds.  They put onto their web site each week what is required.