Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hysterectomy  (Read 6153 times)

Taz2

Re: Hysterectomy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »

Thanks Mary. Yes that would be a good idea although I'm disappointed that I was looking forward to oestrogen only HRT but now discover that I feel the same as I did with the progesterone added in!

Yes I had no choice really other than a ring to hold things up but the very real possibility that as I got older the whole lot would fall out. Now, of course, there is still the worry of vault prolapse due to the weak tissues. The gynae explained to me that the vagina can turn inside out like a sock - he looked quite cheery as he said it but I can't quite get that image out of my mind!

Taz x  :o

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »

I'm relieved that I no longer need progesterone. But I still have the problem of incomplete evacuation which was supposed to have been caused by a rectocele. I will be having my post op follow up on Thursday.  We shall see. I too find the big shopping trolley too much. I went shopping on Saturday, picked a small trolley and got carried away. Oh dear... Back to online shopping. I'm my own worst enemy. I didn't want to drive for several weeks. I couldn't bear to even be in my smart car for a long time as the suspension is not the best. I could only sit in my DH's jalopy. The house needs a good clean, but I haven't the energy to do that much. DH looked after me, but it is frustrating. Try explaining how to do the simplest housekeeping tasks! It was easier to let things go, apart from essentials.

Briony

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »

You've probably seen it already, but the site Hyster Sisters might be of interest if you're considering having a hysterectomy.

Wasn't there one member whose consultant shut down her ovaries so she could see how her body would respond t a hysterectomy? Can't remember who it was?

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2016, 11:30:41 PM »

Yes if you are being considered for a hysterectomy because of PMT problems then the usual thing is to shut down your ovaries with a course of, maybe, Zoladex to see how your body behaves.

Hyster Sisters are good although the medical treatment can vary between America and here http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ and also the Uk site https://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/

Taz x

scriv

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 11:40:56 AM »

Never looked back after my (vaginal)  hysterectomy 12 years ago as part of a repair op due to bad prolapses.

The advantage was that I was able to just have oestrogen HRT ( never got on with progesterone)  and because there is now no womb or cervix I don't need smears and can use Vagifem for ever if I wish. And I do wish.

You do need to follow the instructions post op, but it was well worth it for me.

No regrets whatever. :)

charliegirl

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 05:48:25 PM »

Oh God! No orgasms Taz?? Why is that? Now a really worried, anyone else have this problem?😟

charliegirl

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2016, 05:48:50 PM »

Oh God! No orgasms Taz?? Why is that? Now a really worried, anyone else have this problem?😟

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2016, 07:53:32 AM »

It's not "no orgasms" but a difference. Not all women feel this. Your orgasms will become clitoral only - not the deeper ones felt as the womb contracts. It makes sense really - no womb no womb contractions. Quite often this is something that isn't discussed at consultations before your hysterectomy but, in younger women especially, this can be really upsetting. Obviously in older women it isn't always such a problem as orgasmic intensity tends to diminish or disappear altogether as women age. I appreciate that this isn't the golden rule of course but those intense waves of orgasm are felt because the womb is a really strong muscle. There are some posts here about it http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/showthread.php't=466495

Taz x

charliegirl

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »

Thanks for that Taz! Just read the posts on Hystersisters and am very upset. At the moment I am with a fairly new partner and sex is a big part of our relationship, Its the way I express myself, I would be gutted if I didnt feel anything😞 no idea what to do now!!
Love Charliegirl.

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »

Sorry to sound so negative but it's important to have all of the relevant info as I found that consultants often only deal with their part and as long as the op goes well and the patient goes home ok then they have done their bit!

Have you tried a sequi  HRT which should only give you a withdrawal bleed once a month rather than bleeding at unexpected times? My withdrawal bleeds were only about three days in length and not painful after the initial two months. I did try conti HRT but had bleeding all of the time which I got fed up with!

To have a hysterectomy in order to keep using HRT does seem to be rather drastic at your age - I'm a year behind you - as you don't know how long you will be able to continue with HRT anyway?

You do have to look at all of the pros and cons. It is a major operation. Things can go wrong as happened to another member on here during hers - but it depends on how debilitating your current symptoms are as to whether it would be a good thing to do. The other thing to consider is the shortening of the vagina which happens if you don't retain your cervix. Lots to consider! PM me if you want.

Taz x

charliegirl

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »

Thanks Taz! To be honest I dont ever want any bleeding again, along with the pain tiredness and backache! Just want to be rid of it really, thats why gyne suggested it. He said Im just unlucky amd anything he gives me will not alter what my body is doing. Will ask about retaining cervix. I suppose I am concerned about losing any hormones left in my body as he is taking the overies as well. He did say there will be estrogen supplements tho, so it may be ok?  just want to feel ok.
PS dont know how to PM sorry😕😕

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:28 PM »

You can click on my name and it will bring up a Send Personal Message option and away you go.

Taz x

charliegirl

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »

Taz, did you get PM?

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 01:51:51 PM »

Yes - did you get my reply?  :D

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2]